Thread: Move "/" partition to other one

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Move "/" partition to other one

Hi all,

My problem is that I have small size on my current partition mounted as / so I would like to move it to other partition. Is here anybody who has experience with moving / partition?

My plan is: load Live CD and copy all files from current partition to second one and then change settings in /etc/fstab.

Do you think it would work?

Jakub

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Move "/" partition to other one

i had the same problem once before too.

The best solution I found was to backup /home and any other data and then just do a fresh install.

It's for this reason that having /home on a separate partition is so advantageous. If a need arises to change the root partition, you can always fall back to format / and reinstall the distro.

Beans

Re: Move "/" partition to other one

Quote Originally Posted by kubad_cz View Post
    Hi all,

My problem is that I have small size on my current partition mounted as / so I would like to move it to other partition. Is here anybody who has experience with moving / partition?

My plan is: load Live CD and copy all files from current partition to second one and then change settings in /etc/fstab.

Do you think it would work?

Jakub
    You haven't said anything about your current HDD organisation (how many partitions, what sizes) or even whether the new copy is to be on a separate HDD, so the question is a bit open ended.

There are quite a few pitfalls, and these can be situation dependant.
    I've done this sort of thing using gparted (not from the current installation - on a CD or otherwise) - where you can extend the partition, copy it .... It does, however require a bit of knowledge, so you can sort out any ensuing problems about booting and so on.
    Derek