Thread: Encode MP3 with extrastereo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Encode MP3 with Virtual Surround

Hi,

Recently I started using the extrastereo filter in mplayer & liked it a lot.

My portable MP3 player has no such option built in (like SRS).

I was just wondering if it is possible to re-encode a MP3 track using mencoder with the extrastereo effect. Tried google but couldn't find anything helpful. If its possible, I will just copy the remastered track to my MP3 player & listen to the track with the extrastereo effect.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by linuxyogi; January 6th, 2011 at 09:47 AM.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Encode MP3 with extrastereo

audacity has plugins/ affects, one is extra stereo and not extrastereo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quoth mplayerhq:
    Mono sounds a lot better when played through two speakers - especially when using headphones. Audio files that truly have one channel are automatically played through two speakers; unfortunately, most files with mono sound are actually encoded as stereo with one channel silent. The easiest and most foolproof way to make both speakers output the same audio is the extrastereo filter:
    Do you have a lot of mono mp3s? This effect will only make left and right channels the same, which defeats the purpose of nearly all stereo recordings. Is that what you want to do?

If you really do want this for whatever reason, you could do it manually in Audacity or by using sound recorder to capture mplayer's output.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Encode MP3 with Virtual Surround

Quote Originally Posted by cchhrriiss121212 View Post
    Quoth mplayerhq:

Do you have a lot of mono mp3s? This effect will only make left and right channels the same, which defeats the purpose of nearly all stereo recordings. Is that what you want to do?

No.

I want some filter or plugin similar to SRS Wow effect in WMP or Trusurround/Dolby Headphone in Power Dvd.

mplayer's extrastereo is what I have found so far which somewhat sounds like srs wow of WMP.

Now, the next step is to find a way to encode a mp3 with that effect.

After reading what you wrote/quoted, I played a stereo mp3 just to see if both channels are sounding the same. But they don't. I can clearly hear different instruments playing in the L & R channels.

Therefore the extrastereo filter doesn't make a stereo track sound like mono. Try it yourself, just to be sure.

They (at mplayerhq), are talking about how to make a mono track sound better, but that's a different issue.
    Last edited by linuxyogi; January 6th, 2011 at 03:23 PM.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro

i took a track and added 0.2 echo delay and 0.4 decay, then amplified by 0.8 and the results were just freakn amazing.

audacity will convert to that setting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by inobe View Post
    i took a track and added 0.2 echo delay and 0.4 decay, then amplified by 0.8 and the results were just freakn amazing.

audacity will convert to that setting.
    Thanks for sharing those values.

I am emphasizing on extrastereo because the values there are already set by experts. Creating these effects involves very complex combination of filters.Once I become sure of the fact that there is no way implementing extrastereo in the encoding process I will try the audacity way.

Thanks again.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro

i found some interesting stuff for you, i too was looking for such an affect a few years back.

http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewto...p?f=16&t=44043

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by inobe View Post
    i found some interesting stuff for you, i too was looking for such an affect a few years back.

http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewto...p?f=16&t=44043
    Please tell me how to complete the 6th step.

"6. Mix and render tracks 1 and 2 into a single track. "

Tracks >> Mix & Render Is that it?
    Lubuntu 20.04