Thread: Upgrade CPU Issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Upgrade CPU Issues

Just upgraded to 2.6.35-24-generic-pae and now I am only seeing 1 CPU. I am running a dual-core intel i3-550. Used to show 2 cpu cores and 2 hyperthreads. Any ideas?

cat /proc/cpuid is only showing 1 core.

Beans

Re: Upgrade CPU Issues

I suspect your kernel doesn't have SMP support built into it. You can have a quick look in the kernel config file, grep for CONFIG_SMP I think. This would be included in most mainstream kernel builds, but I don't know anything about that version or where you got it.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Upgrade CPU Issues

I see "CONFIG_SMP=y" in the .config for the new kernel listed under /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-23-generic-pae.

I received this kernel update using the Ubuntu Upgrade Manager (i would assume this is the kernel compiled by Canonical)

Also I tried to use Start-Up Manager to boot the previous kernel version and I am still having the same problem.

Also this is my /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 37
    model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz
    stepping : 5
    cpu MHz : 1200.000
    cache size : 4096 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 1
    core id : 0
    cpu cores : 1
    apicid : 0
    initial apicid : 0
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 11
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm arat dts tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
    bogomips : 6418.64
    clflush size : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:
    I have attached a list of the files updated when the system broke.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Xanko; January 3rd, 2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Updated Information

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Upgrade CPU Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Xanko View Post
    Just upgraded to 2.6.35-24-generic-pae and now I am only seeing 1 CPU. I am running a dual-core intel i3-550. Used to show 2 cpu cores and 2 hyperthreads. Any ideas?

cat /proc/cpuid is only showing 1 core.
    After some further research I believe if have found and corrected the problem. Turns out somewhere along the line my grub config file (/etc/default/grub) may have been updated (probably when the new kernel was installed) and also included the following options under GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash noapic nolapic". Turns out that newer systems require apic or lapic to control multi-core chips?? Removing the "noapic nolapic" options and then running sudo update-grub would reconfigure grub to boot the kernel correctly. I am now showing all the hardware I had prior to the kernel update. Thank you forums for the help I am just disappointed it took me 3 days for search for that information...

Other threads of interest:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1142333.html

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1062918.html