This is a “How To” and also a support/research thread for the Dell Inspiron Duo. This thread is a spin off of this thread
I will say that all the hardware doesn't work quite right but its a work in progress. There will be more added as we figure out more. So keep your eyes on this thread.
Things that don't work
1. Accelerometer - unable to have the screen rotate automatically and grab the data from the device (we are getting close to having it work)
Things that work
1. Touchscreen's single input
6. Multitouch (Works Partly!)
I'm not sure how the 3G slot works because I didn't get one on mine. Anyone who has any news about that please share.
Go ahead and update your system completely.
Pop open Update Manager and install all the updates available.
This will take some time based on your Internet speed. Go grab a cup of coffee and watch this Documentary on Linux
Make sure to reboot before proceeding!
Touchscreen --Caboose885 and shartke
All Versions (Kernel 2.6.24+)
1. Go to the following website and download the daemon driver: EGalax Touch drivers
2. Extract the file from its archive and run the sh script found in the driver folder.Code:cd ~/Downloads/eTouch-******/Code:sudo sh setup.sh
3. Reboot your computer
4. Run the command in terminal (Or find eGalax Calibration Utility under Applications List)5. You should be able to select the "Draw Test" and verify that your touchscreen and Multi-Touch is working!Code:eGTouchU
5. If your touchscreen Y axis is backwords you might need to change the Direction line from 0 to 2. (This will fix the inverted Y axis. If its backwards after reboot.)
Code:sudo gedit /etc/eGTouch.ini
If you are having a problem getting the drivers to work see the attached GRUB.odt file for how to modify GRUB to get the touchscreen working. The Grub way however will only give you single input and not multi-touch
TwoFinger Multi-touch Touchpad -- Caboose885
10.10-Code:gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/scroll_method --type=int 2
Then....Code:sudo apt-add-repository ppa:plippo/t101mt
Then....Code:sudo apt-get updateRotating the Screen -- ninjaaronCode:sudo apt-get install eeepc-touchpad-twofingers
Download and install the following package based on your architecture
Touchscreen Helper 32 Bit
Touchscreen Helper 64 Bit
Next follow this guide on making a script that will rotate the screen automatically.
Making a script for rotating the screen
Fixing Bluetooth --JaseP
Bluetooth is working without any additional package installs. Hopefully yours will be the same. If not you can try installing the package for 11.10 and below.
Download and install the following package: ar3011-dkms_1.1ryu2.3_all.deb
Fixing the Microphone and Headphones -- DfarmerTX
Run the following command into a Terminal
At the very bottom of the file add the following line.Code:gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
Save and exit. Reboot your Duo and everything should be working properly. (that is listed as working)Code:options snd-hda-intel model=ideapad
Broadcom Crystal HD Decoder Driver --Caboose885
Download driver and follow README to compile
Tablet Mode Recognition -- gjahuja
Add the following lines to /etc/rc.local (make sure to sudo)
When you flip the screen and close the lid, a keystroke is sent, and when you open the lid one the screen is flipped another one is sent. Those commands maps these keystrokes to XF86LAUNCH1 and XF86LAUNCH2. rc.local runs those commands on start up so you don't need to run them at every session start.Code:setkeycodes e073 148 & setkeycodes e074 149 exit 0
Now open Keyboard Shortcuts and add two new shortcuts, one for Tablet Mode ON, and other one for Tablet Mode OFF, and tell them to run your scripts for each mode. Now, you can't type XF86LAUNCH# to the shortcut field, what you need to do is click it for it to become active (it will say New shortcut...) and then flip the screen and close the lid. The correct keystroke will be added. Then click to edit the other one and while it's active open the lid, you will see XF86LAUNCH2 in the shortcut field.
Chrome and Firefox Addons for touchscreen scrolling --Non.Cents
Install the following Addons based on your browser
Firefox: Grab and Drag
Thanks to the following for their awesomeness!
Optional Packages to Install
Via Synaptic Package Manager (Applications → System → Synaptic Package Manager)
1. StartupManager – Allows you to change the Grub boot menu default selection and reduce the grub default time.
2. ubuntu-restricted-extras – Adds special file support. MP3, MP4, AVI, Flash, Java, and more!
3. VLC – Lighter and better for less powerful hardware (like the Duo) I can get full 1080P Big Buck Bunny to play flawlessly on my Duo using VLC
4. uTouch – support for multi-touch. (in theory)
5. preload - caches your most used programs to RAM, therefore causing things to open faster.
6. EasyStroke - Gesture Recognition for mouse movements
Ubuntu Tweak --Allows you to have some more control over your computer using the GUI and not terminal.
Florence Virtual Keyboard --one of the better onscreen keyboards for touchscreens
Kvkbd --Virtual Keyboard used by the KDE Desktop Enviroment
Video on getting KDE Automatic Plasma Workspace Switching