My system freezes whenever I'm booting normally. When booting in recovery mode and starting failsafeX (with low-graphics-mode) I can normally use it (albeit lacking graphics-acceleration). So I've configured X to use the vesa-driver, as I thought the ati-drivers gave me problems but it still freezes when booted normally. Any Ideas what to check next? I've been hunting this the whole day now and am running out of ideas.
Motherboard: albatron k8x800 pro
CPU: amd athlon 64 3000+
Graphics: ati radeon hd 3850
What else I've tried so far (AFAIR):
- removing rt2500-based wifi pci-card
- installing latest ati-drivers, so not only installing fglrx from the repository
- trying to force AGP 4x with
as the AGP speed in bios is shown as "8x" and grayed out, so not changeable
Option "AGPv3Mask" "0x00000002"
- setting the voltage for agp from 1.5 to 1.6
- changing AGP Aperture size to 128, 256, 512
- various kernel boot options to no avail:
acpi=off nosmp maxcpus=0 noapic nolapic