Thread: PPStream or other w/out virtualbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Smile PPStream or other w/out virtualbox

Hello all! I've searched high and low for the answer to this question: Has anyone (recently) been able to get software such as PPStream (specifically for watching chinese tv) to work on linux?

I realize that virtualbox is an option, however, I do not have a legal copy of windows to use, and would like to avoid windows altogether if I may.

On a side note, does anyone know of any other option/website for watching chinese tv on my linux box?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I forgot to explain what PPstream is for those who don't know. It's a neat chinese windows app that uses p2p to stream video. There are hundreds of channels, of not only chinese tv but western movie channels, sports, news, etc. It's awesome.
    Last edited by ezDQm246bzfB; April 22nd, 2009 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Clarification

Beans

Re: PPStream or other w/out virtualbox

Yeah my girlfriend has PPS on her XP box; if I could just get PPS running on Ubuntu she'd agree to use Ubuntu instead of XP, but I haven't been able to find a way...

Sopcast is available, and broadcasts Chinese stations. Doesn't have huge "archives" like PPS though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I'm working on getting sopcast playing, although there seems to be quite a few workarounds needed in order to get it running in jaunty. Thanks for the input, though!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I think there is a native linux version of ppstream on there website. There is also a pps plugin for totem.
    See this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8508726 .

Beans

I came across this video tutorial online, and PPS works fine on my Ubuntu 10.10

http://linuxfilesystem.com/uncategor...2-ubuntu-10-10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi Geof,
    is ur 10.10 32bit or 64 bit? I wonder have anyone managed to get ppstream to work in 64bit ubuntu without broken dependencies?
    been searching around, what i found is instructions on a blog.