Thread: How do I stop VINO ? - or all GUI related programs for that matter.... (Xubuntu)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How do I stop VINO ? - or all GUI related programs for that matter.... (Xubuntu)

I want to close all GUI related applications and run Xubuntu as a pure webserver and control it via SSH. I want to control that then with a start.sh and stop.sh script.

First issues I face, how do I stop vino-server? This does not work:

/usr/lib/vino/vino-server stop

And while I am at the topic, what else I can close down, and how?

I guess XCFE is not needed too. How do I close that?
    Last edited by flameproof; November 11th, 2010 at 03:48 AM.
    ----------------------
    14.04 - finally working!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How do I stop VINO ? - or all GUI related programs for that matter.... (Xubuntu)

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof View Post
    I want to close all GUI related applications and run Xubuntu as a pure webserver and control it via SSH. I want to control that then with a start.sh and stop.sh script.

First issues I face, how do I stop vino-server? This does not work:

/usr/lib/vino/vino-server stop

And while I am at the topic, what else I can close down, and how?

I guess XCFE is not needed too. How do I close that?
    easy.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-core
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do I stop VINO ? - or all GUI related programs for that matter.... (Xubuntu)

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    easy.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-core
    Oh, I made a mistake here! I don't want to remove the GUI forever, just for the current session till reboot.

I want to use the PC sometimes as a desktop (at least till I'm really comfortable with command line). So I want to start the PC as a normal desktop (it has no monitor, but I can use Vino to connect) - but then as an option I want to close all GUI related programs (incl. Vino) via SSH and keep only the basic server functions (Apache etc.).
    ----------------------
    14.04 - finally working!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof View Post
    Oh, I made a mistake here! I don't want to remove the GUI forever, just for the current session till reboot.

I want to use the PC sometimes as a desktop (at least till I'm really comfortable with command line). So I want to start the PC as a normal desktop (it has no monitor, but I can use Vino to connect) - but then as an option I want to close all GUI related programs (incl. Vino) via SSH and keep only the basic server functions (Apache etc.).
    Code:
    sudo update-rc.d -f xorg-common remove
    anytime you wanna enable it again

Code:
    sudo update-rc.d xorg-common defaults
    and I *think* its called xorg-common. I use gentoo, so make sure you double check.
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

old threat, regardless maybe someone like me will come across it, to kill vino just type "killall vino-server" from the command line and the service will stop. vino comes back up again if you start the service manually from command line or reboot.