Thread: Unsafe gpg.conf File Permissions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Talking Unsafe gpg.conf File Permissions

Hello everyone,

I hope and pray that you all had a safe and wonderful Easter Weekend!

I have seen this issue come up previously in the forum:
    gpg: external program calls are disabled due to unsafe options file permissions
    But the resolutions previously posted have not worked for me:
    sudo chmod 700 ~/.gnupg
    sudo chmod 600 ~/.gnupg/*
    I still get the following errors:
    gpg: WARNING: unsafe ownership on configuration file `/home/johnathan/.gnupg/gpg.conf'
    gpg: keyserver communications error: general error
    gpg: keyserver receive failed: general error
    gpg: WARNING: unsafe ownership on configuration file `/home/johnathan/.gnupg/gpg.conf'
    I am trying to run this:
    #!/bin/sh
    # download gpg keys
    # run as root

sudo gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net/ --recv-keys D19E31503603FC89 && gpg --export D19E31503603FC89 | apt-key add -
    sudo gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net/ --recv-keys 651C88F37E3F6F85 && gpg --export 651C88F37E3F6F85 | apt-key add -
    sudo gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net/ --recv-keys 66714E1023724DD8 && gpg --export 66714E1023724DD8 | apt-key add -
    sudo gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net/ --recv-keys F3037F74D42BED5F && gpg --export F3037F74D42BED5F | apt-key add -
    sudo gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net/ --recv-keys 5DC3EDDDAAFF1F16 && gpg --export 5DC3EDDDAAFF1F16 | apt-key add -
    sudo gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net/ --recv-keys F23E609A619BA177 && gpg --export F23E609A619BA177 | apt-key add -
    sudo gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net/ --recv-keys 04508D5C1654E635 && gpg --export 04508D5C1654E635 | apt-key add -
    sudo gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net/ --recv-keys FECEC7A25E1D6DC2 && gpg --export FECEC7A25E1D6DC2 | apt-key add -
    sudo gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net/ --recv-keys F693AC29CF84A40D && gpg --export F693AC29CF84A40D | apt-key add -
    Thank you and God bless,
    Johnathan
    Most of us do and say dumb things, think before you act. If you do plan on going the dumb route, please be sure to have the cameras rolling... you can at least give the rest of us a good laugh.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Talking Re: Unsafe gpg.conf File Permissions

Anyone have any ideas?
    Most of us do and say dumb things, think before you act. If you do plan on going the dumb route, please be sure to have the cameras rolling... you can at least give the rest of us a good laugh.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Unsafe gpg.conf File Permissions

Quote Originally Posted by johnathanamber View Post
    [heavily edited]

I have seen this issue come up previously in the forum:

> gpg: external program calls are disabled due to unsafe options file permissions

But the resolutions previously posted have not worked for me:

> sudo chmod 700 ~/.gnupg
    > sudo chmod 600 ~/.gnupg/*

I still get the following errors:

> gpg: WARNING: unsafe ownership on configuration file `~/.gnupg/gpg.conf'

[when running]

> #!/bin/sh
    > # download gpg keys
    > # run as root

> sudo gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net/ --recv-keys D19E31503603FC89 && gpg --export D19E31503603FC89 | apt-key add -
    I recently encountered the error message above. It results from sudo-ing, and can be disregarded, as explained in this message:

David Shaw 2005-03-24 21:56:20
    It means that the user you are running GPG as was not the owner of the
    gpg.conf file. That can be a security problem (as someone other than
    you can manipulate it), so GPG is warning you about it.

Since you're running as root on purpose, it's presumably not a
    security problem, but GPG doesn't know that.
    HTH, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Unsafe gpg.conf File Permissions

if you try to download the key as root, you will have this error (don't know why though)!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Unsafe gpg.conf File Permissions

trying to upload a key and getting this error.