Thread: Hard Drive Space!???

Beans

Angry Hard Drive Space!???

Ok, so today i installed ubuntu 10.10 (im loving itt!!!!) I partitioned my drive so i have 60gb free for ubuntu (ps my dual boot is windows 7 (C) ubuntu (U) (C | U)) and now i go into windows 7 and it tells me on drive U: (ubuntu) i have 60 gb of free space. but when i launch ubuntu and click: Places > Computer > Right-click on File System > Click properties. it tells me i have 13 gb free space? i really need my 60gb of space. PLEASE HELP ME!!

My Setup is:
    Ubuntu 32-Bit 10.10
    Packard Bell Laptop

Just to let you know I have 64-bit windows 7 and 32-bit ubuntu this might be the problem...? Anyway, leave answers below!

EDIT--
    I now have 64bit ubuntu and i realised my space was different becuase when i installed it i put it at the normal 17gb i later realised this is not how much space you want the setup to fill, but how much space is on your partition! thanks for the help anyway guys
    Last edited by Cool Boy963; February 19th, 2011 at 01:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Hard Drive Space!???

I doubt if Windows 7 will be unable to calculate the exact disk space on an ext3/ext4 filesystem as it doesn't support any of them natively.

You need to post more details. Please post the output of

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Code:
    df -h
    32-bit, 64-bit conflict is not considered as both the OS run independent of each other

Beans

Wink Re: Hard Drive Space!???

Quote Originally Posted by sikander3786 View Post
    I doubt if Windows 7 will be unable to calculate the exact disk space on an ext3/ext4 filesystem as it doesn't support any of them natively.

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Code:
    df -h
    32-bit, 64-bit conflict is not considered as both the OS run independent of each other
    Sorry, i dont get all this "code" stuff and what to do with it could you explain it to me? and i tried uninstalling ubuntu and remaking the partition to have 70gb but ubuntu still says 13gb!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

go to terminal from Application > Accessories > Terminal

And then run those two commands one by one. Copy the output from terminal and paste in http://paste.ubuntu.com and share the link here.
    kIlL pIrAcY....................sTeAl OrIgInAl Cd's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Copy the output from terminal and paste in http://paste.ubuntu.com and share the link here.
    No need to paste it somewhere else. Just paste the output here directly in your post.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sikander3786 View Post

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Code:
    df -h
    outcome:

sudo fdisk -l = hussain@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l
    [sudo] password for hussain:

df -h = hussain@ubuntu:~$ df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/loop0 17G 2.9G 13G 19% /
    none 1.5G 284K 1.5G 1% /dev
    none 1.5G 1.5M 1.5G 1% /dev/shm
    none 1.5G 92K 1.5G 1% /var/run
    none 1.5G 0 1.5G 0% /var/lock
    /dev/sda5 69G 18G 51G 26% /host
    hussain@ubuntu:~$

whats this for?

Beans

Question Re: Hard Drive Space!???

WAIT! I go to Apps > Accessories > Disk Usage Analyser. And it says i have 64.1 gb left! but i go back to computer right click file system and it still says 13gb. WTF? whats wrong with my ubuntu. i love linux and need more space could anyone explain whats going on and which ones right. remember i said before i dual-boot to windows 7 and it tell me i have 64.1gb so.... is the file system wrong. or is the disk usage space app wrong? im so confused!