Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel 5300 AGN Limited to 54mbps on Maverick

Beans

Intel 5300 AGN Limited to 54mbps on Maverick

Hello all,

I've just upgraded to maverick and while the wireless works fine it is always limited to 54mbps (i get this number when i run iwconfig) and the card can't transfer more than 2.5MB/s (which is faily normal for a 54mbps connection). When i had lucid installed, the output of the iwconfig showed the speed of 0mbps but it i knew it was connected at 300mbps (to my netgear DGND3300) because i could transfer on the network at around 7-8MB/s. Has anyone else experienced this?

All the tests were done right next to the router. The wireless is connected at 5ghz so there is no inteference from neighbors or anything like that.

thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Intel 5300 AGN Limited to 54mbps on Maverick

Do you have a file called /etc/modprobe.d/intel-5300-iwlagn-disable11n.conf? You might try renaming it so it doesn't operate on your system and see if it helps:
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/modprobe.d/intel-5300-iwlagn-disable11n.conf /etc/modprobe.d/intel-5300-iwlagn-disable11n.conf.bak
    sudo rmmod -f iwlagn
    sudo modprobe iwlagn
    Please post back and let the searchers know.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Many thanks. i've edited the file and replaced "options iwlagn 11n_disable=1" with options iwlagn 11n_disable=0 and rebooted.

It seems to connect now at 270mbps (which is what i expected anyway) but now i need to test reliability. I It would seem that a lot of people are saying that it locks up after a while but i need to test it myself.

Many thanks again

Beans
    Distro

a lot of people are saying that it locks up after a while
    Which is evidently why it is preferable to disable N. We will be interested in your experience.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Yeah I just set disable to 0 too, been testing the intel 5300 for two days now on ubuntu 10.10.

My card sees alot of wireless networks but it doesn't always seem to connect or will randomly choose to connect or not connect. I do notice it disconnecting sometimes but immediately reconnecting.

I installed this on a asus 1015pem that had a bcm card that i had to enable restricted drivers to get working. That card took 4-5seconds to connect after boot or resume, intel card connects 1second after booting or resume.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

1 day + overnight on Dell Lattitude D630 (2007 model) with intel 5300 seems to be stable, will try to update in a couple days after I finish configuration. I have converted this machine from Win 7 to 10.10 x64 desktop.

addendum: Wow, really 3 weeks has gone by now? Well, seriously, no problems with the higher data rate. Even with the 'untu using it while virtualbox'd w7 is using it.
    Last edited by C0derBear; November 26th, 2010 at 01:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I have converted this machine from Win 7 to 10.10 x64 desktop.
    Outstanding! I love getting a new or Ebay-ed laptop and scrubbing other OSes!

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro

I am curious why 'N' is disabled on 5300s. Sucks that I happen to have the one card that appears to be an issue.

Beans
    Distro

My understanding is that, with some firmware versions, N speeds were flaky or impossible. I assume that, while it was being worked on, N was disabled. If it works fine for you with it reinstated, you're all set.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

status check- how are you guys doing with N enabled?

also, is anyone using bleeding edge (or recent, or stable) compat-wireless?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast