Page 1 of 93 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Shell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

GNOME Shell

BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND

This thread is for testing support and technical discussion.
    Opinions should go to the Community Cafe thread or ideally the GNOME Shell mailing list

I made this thread again because as before, I figured the sort of people that would install and test pre-release versions of a new UI would be the sort of people that install and test pre-release versions of Ubuntu.

What is GNOME Shell?
    GNOME Shell, for those of you that do not know, is a user interface change to GNOME. With it, brings Mutter a combination of Metacity and Clutter, managing the windows. Say goodbye to compiz as it won't be compatible.

GNOME Shell will be released as one part of GNOME 3 in March of 2011 it will not be default in 11.04, that's Unity, though GNOME Shell should still be an optional package.

What does it look like?
    Here is GNOME Shell.

The active application near "Activities" has a menu upon clicking. Clicking on the date or username provide a calendar and menu respectively

Currently some applications are open but hidden. Where are they?
    This is the Activities overview, where you run and manage "Activities"

More applications can be run either by searching for the name in "Type to search...", or in this case, clicking the word applications

One extra blank workspace is create by default. If an application is put onto that blank workspace, one more blank workspace will be created. The thumbnails on the right, viewable upon hover, let you switch among them. New applications can be opening onto specific workspaces by dragging the launcher to the workspace thumbnail on the right.

Oh look, an instant message! Unlike the passive notify-OSD, clicking on this will bring up the window

If no action is taken, it resides in the lower right, viewable upon hover.

OMG GNOME SHELL IS AWFUL AND I HATE UNITY! I'm moving to xfce/Windows/an abacus
    Calm down. Look at the GNOME 3 Myths
    MYTH: GNOME won't support the current panel and window manager anymore and I don't want to use GNOME Shell

TRUTH: The GNOME 2.x panel and Metacity (the window manager) will still be available.
    Downstream distributions such as Fedora, openSUSE and Ubuntu will have the option to include them in their distribution. You will be able to install them just as now you can install sawfish, compiz, etc inside your GNOME session. (There are no plans to support GNOME panel applets in GNOME Shell, TBA. This mailing list post has some information.)

How do I Learn More?

How do I Try it?

Running Jaunty, Karmic, Lucid, Maverick and Natty, there are three ways to try GNOME Shell
    • Build from source (recommended, as it provides the most recent version, though may occasionally break)
    • Install the gnome-shell package (easy but out of date)
    • For Natty Narwhal Only Use the Ricotz PPA (slightly harder, but more up to date)

As of Virtualbox 4.0 GNOME Shell will run in a virtual machine, but very slowly and glitchy, to the point of unusable

Building from source is a bit more complicated than the GNOME instructions say. So fire up a terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install curl libtiff4-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev libcroco3-dev xserver-xephyr xulrunner-dev python-dev mesa-utils mesa-common-dev libreadline5-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libwnck-dev librsvg2-dev libgnome-desktop-dev libgnome-menu-dev libffi-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgconf2-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev gtk-doc-tools gnome-common git-core flex bison automake build-essential icon-naming-utils libpulse-dev libcanberra-dev autopoint libjasper-dev libvorbis-dev libpam-dev libxklavier-dev libgnome-keyring-dev libupower-glib-dev libgtop2-dev libcups2-dev evolution-data-server-dev libsqlite3-dev libproxy-dev libdb-dev libproxy-dev
    Code:
    curl -O http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell/plain/tools/build/gnome-shell-build-setup.sh
    Code:
    /bin/bash gnome-shell-build-setup.sh
    Get jhbuild (not a command line entry)

Code:
    jhbuild build

IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE BUILDING
    Hey it keeps "hanging up unexpectedly"
    Quit building and run
    Code:
     pushd ~/gnome-shell/source/ && git clone git://git.gnome.org/gtk+ gtk3 && popd
    then re run jhbuild build

I'm getting a lot of "undefined reference" errors
    try
    Code:
    rm ~/gnome-shell/install/*.la && sudo rm -rf /usr/lib*/*.la
    Then jhbuild build
    If it still doesn't work, delete the ~/gnome-shell folder and try again

I'm getting an error regarding libcanberra-gtk-module.so: undefined symbol: gtk_quit_add
    It's a known bug, just delete the file libcanberra-gtk-module.so

Yay! It's finally done building! Now what?
    To run
    1. cd ~/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/src
    2. ./gnome-shell --replace

To quit GNOME Shell and return to the panels
    1. Go to the terminal
    2. hit CTRL-C

To update (check the commit log for anything new)
    • jhbuild build (rebuilds updated files)
    • jhbuild build -f -a -c (builds all gnome shell files)

To remove (if you want to do a clean install, or just remove it because you don't like it)
    • Delete the folder gnome-shell in your home directory (assumes build from source)

If you want to make it your default, put "gnome-shell --replace" in your Startup Items

Love it? Hate it? Have a suggestion? Make your voice heard in the GNOME Shell mailing list
    Last edited by Merk42; March 4th, 2011 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Added even more dependencies
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GNOME Shell

Great ... looking at required libs ... is it libjasper-dev required too??
    Take a look at gnome-shell-build-setup.sh - seems to be required.

Beans
    Distro

1. Last time i checked, i heard that ricotz has stopped updating his repo. Any information?

2. If i build from source how do i know when to rerun the build for upgrade?

3. WIll Gnome-Shell run smoothly on laptops which run Gnome 2 without any lag or resource hog?

Thanks.
    Last edited by donniezazen; October 23rd, 2010 at 05:06 PM.
    Amor cuerdo, no es Amor.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xtoudi View Post
    Great ... looking at required libs ... is it libjasper-dev required too??
    Take a look at gnome-shell-build-setup.sh - seems to be required.
    Did a fresh install, looks like it is required.
    Added to the OP

Quote Originally Posted by soham_1207 View Post
    1. Last time i checked, i heard that ricotz has stopped updating his repo. Any information?

2. If i build from source how do i know when to rerun the build for upgrade?

3. WIll Gnome-Shell run smoothly on laptops which run Gnome 2 without any lag or resource hog?

Thanks.
    1. I don't use it, but it mentions Natty so I'm guessing it gets updated
    2. As I say in the OP, check the commit log. You can also just rerun jhbuild build whenever you want and it will only update the parts that need to be updated.
    3. Maybe? A "laptop which run GNOME 2" is too vague to give a definitive answer.
    Last edited by Merk42; October 23rd, 2010 at 05:12 PM.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    david@david-macbook:~$  pushd ~/gnome-shell/source/ && git clone git://git.gnome.org/gtk+ gtk3 && popd
    ~/gnome-shell/source ~
    fatal: destination path 'gtk3' already exists and is not an empty directory.
    ?
    Black holes are where God divided by zero

Beans

Its sooo slow, dunno what happen but when i used it about a year ago it was fast.

Anyways im still not impressed i much prefer what we have, I do kinda like what Lion is gonna have the mission control. It kinda reminds me of gnome shell.

Beans
    Distro

I'm getting this error

Code:
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ron/gnome-shell/source/gjs'
    /bin/bash ./libtool --tag=CC   --mode=link gcc  -pthread -DXP_UNIX -DJS_THREADSAFE -I/home/ron/gnome-shell/install/include/glib-2.0 -I/home/ron/gnome-shell/install/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/xulrunner-1.9.2.11 -I/usr/include/xulrunner-1.9.2.11/nspr -I/usr/include/nspr    -Wsign-compare -Wcast-align -Wpointer-arith -Wnested-externs -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -g -O2 -R /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2.11 -rdynamic -L/home/ron/gnome-shell/install/lib64  -o gjs-console gjs_console-console.o libgjs.la 
    libtool: link: gcc -pthread -DXP_UNIX -DJS_THREADSAFE -I/home/ron/gnome-shell/install/include/glib-2.0 -I/home/ron/gnome-shell/install/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/xulrunner-1.9.2.11 -I/usr/include/xulrunner-1.9.2.11/nspr -I/usr/include/nspr -Wsign-compare -Wcast-align -Wpointer-arith -Wnested-externs -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -g -O2 -rdynamic -o .libs/gjs-console gjs_console-console.o  -L/home/ron/gnome-shell/install/lib64 ./.libs/libgjs.so -pthread -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/home/ron/gnome-shell/install/lib64 -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2.11
    /usr/bin/ld: gjs_console-console.o: undefined reference to symbol 'g_object_unref'
    /usr/bin/ld: note: 'g_object_unref' is defined in DSO /home/ron/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libgobject-2.0.so.0 so try adding it to the linker command line
    /home/ron/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libgobject-2.0.so.0: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[1]: *** [gjs-console] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ron/gnome-shell/source/gjs'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    I'm sure I've seen that before but I don't remember the fix , I searched the maverick version of this thread but with 84 pages of posts I couldn't find it .

edit: I tried the fixes in merck's first post , no help , wiped and started over no help .
    Last edited by ronacc; October 24th, 2010 at 01:18 AM.
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: GNOME Shell

Yes--I've got the same problem right now---prevents a Gnome-Shell update.....
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro

Here are the errors I'm getting:

Code:
      GISCAN Gtk-3.0.gir
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-3.0.so: undefined reference to `gdk_x11_display_set_startup_notification_id'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-3.0.so: undefined reference to `gdk_rgba_get_type'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-3.0.so: undefined reference to `gdk_rgba_to_string'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-3.0.so: undefined reference to `gdk_cairo_set_source_rgba'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-3.0.so: undefined reference to `gdk_rgba_parse'
    linking of temporary binary failed: Command '['/bin/bash', '../libtool', '--mode=link', '--tag=CC', '--silent', 'gcc', '-o', '/home/david/gnome-shell/source/gtk3/gtk/tmp-introspectCmEWps/Gtk-3.0', '-export-dynamic', '-L.', 'libgtk-x11-3.0.la', '-pthread', '-L/home/david/gnome-shell/install/lib', '-lgio-2.0', '-lgobject-2.0', '-lgmodule-2.0', '-lgthread-2.0', '-lrt', '-lglib-2.0', '/home/david/gnome-shell/source/gtk3/gtk/tmp-introspectCmEWps/Gtk-3.0.o']' returned non-zero exit status 1
    make[4]: *** [Gtk-3.0.gir] Error 1
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/david/gnome-shell/source/gtk3/gtk'
    make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/david/gnome-shell/source/gtk3/gtk'
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/david/gnome-shell/source/gtk3/gtk'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/david/gnome-shell/source/gtk3'
    *** Error during phase build of gtk3: ########## Error running make   *** [8/23]
    Code:
    /home/david/gnome-shell/install/lib/libgtk-x11-3.0.so: undefined reference to `g_application_set_action_enabled'
    /home/david/gnome-shell/install/lib/libgtk-x11-3.0.so: undefined reference to `g_application_quit_with_data'
    /home/david/gnome-shell/install/lib/libgtk-x11-3.0.so: undefined reference to `g_application_add_action'
    make[3]: *** [gconf-sanity-check-2] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/david/gnome-shell/source/gconf/gconf'
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/david/gnome-shell/source/gconf/gconf'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/david/gnome-shell/source/gconf'
    *** Error during phase build of gconf: ########## Error running make   *** [13/23]
    Code:
    /usr/bin/ld: gjs_console-console.o: undefined reference to symbol 'g_object_unref'
    /usr/bin/ld: note: 'g_object_unref' is defined in DSO /home/david/gnome-shell/install/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0 so try adding it to the linker command line
    /home/david/gnome-shell/install/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
    make[1]: *** [gjs-console] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/david/gnome-shell/source/gjs'
    *** Error during phase build of gjs: ########## Error running make   *** [15/23]
    Black holes are where God divided by zero

Beans

Hi, How does one get the close buttons back to the left? I've no experience with cl/mutter.

Page 1 of 93 1231151 ... LastLast