Thread: Dell Wireless 1450 Wireless USB Adapter

Hybrid View

Beans

Dell Wireless 1450 Wireless USB Adapter

Yes, I have been self reliant and already have done research upon this subject. I have a Dell Wireless 1450 Wireless USB Adapter (Model1450U REV A01) that I'm trying to get working with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition.

The guides I've read have already taught me some but I'm stuck on one part: It says that the driver is invalid when I try to install it. I've extracted as desired and have gotten the correct .inf file. I have even recalled the already extracted DELLNIC.inf file in experimentation from the other hard drive running my Windows XP Professional SP 3 (where it currently will work if booted through windows).

Does any one have any ideas on what's possibly going wrong? Are there steps missing or is it simply not compatible? According to threads I've read from 2006 and 2007, it did once work.

P.S.
    First time Linux User.

Beans

Re: Dell Wireless 1450 Wireless USB Adapter

Nevermind, I figured it out!

If anyone has been having the same problem and would like a resolution, private message me.

Beans

Alright, a couple of you have messaged me for help and so far I've brought success. Here's what you do for any one else who would like to know:

If you do in fact have the same adapter as I do then the driver below will work 110% guaranteed.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/25ybis

1)Download the folder with drivers in it from the above link

2)Move the folder on your Linux machine to /home/user/bin (or, wherever you'd like to store it)

If you already have ndiswrapper installed then skip the following steps (3-5)download the following)
    3)Ndiswrapper-commonhttp://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/misc/ndiswrapper-common

4)Ndiswrapper-Utils-1.9http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/mis...pper-utils-1.9

5)Ndisgtkhttp://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/net/ndisgtk
    ---

6)With those files downloaded, throw all of them into the same folder: Open Terminal and enter into the folder through terminal. Type these commands to install each:
    sudo dpkg -i ndiswrapper-common_*.deb
    sudo dpkg -i ndiswrapper-utils-1.9_*.deb
    sudo dpkg -i --force-depends ndisgtk_*.deb

7)Since you have installed these extra applications, you have to blacklist a open source file that came included with Ubuntu. Type this:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Once that opens, add this:
    blacklist bcm43xx
    Save and close it out.

8)Go to System >> Administration >> Windows Wireless Drivers and press the Install New Driver button. Direct it to 2K folder you downloaded and select dellnic.inf file and you're done.

The following steps are to ensure it has been installed and are in proper working order.
    9)In Terminal, type ndiswrapper -l(That's a L). This command will displayed installed drivers... and it should confirm that it is.
    If it has installed correctly then type:
    sudo depmod -a
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

In order to make this start every start up, you have to edit a module... type this in Terminal:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modules
    Add ndiswrapper to the bottom of the document, save and close it out.

You are done! It should work flawlessly now. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I switched from Ubuntu to OpenSuse 11 (Gnome) 1 day after using Ubuntu (and was able to figure out my driver problem). Opensuse 11 is a better OS in my opinion and takes about 3 steps to get this driver working right... but suit yourself!

- Richard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You Rock! Thanks man!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I realize this is a really old post I'm resurrecting but it addresses my problem exactly....

I followed the instructions very closely with the following changes...

I switched out hardy for lucid
    I used the driver cd that came with the device to get the driver (because it wasn't exactly the same one: the model and rev were both off by a couple digits at the end)

and now the computer still doesn't recognize any wireless capability...

should the things I changed make any difference?

Edit: more info:

the Windows wireless drivers list includes a dellnic which I assume is the right one, and the output of terminal from the commands above is:

WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
    dellnic : driver installed
    device (413C:8104) present (alternate driver: p54usb)
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
    Last edited by CJN; May 1st, 2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: More info given
    "There does not exist, nor can there exist, true chaos, rather what is taken to be chaotic is by nature a system which is governed by laws the observer either cannot or refuses to accept." ~Camden Narzt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Bump, I really would appreciate any help I can get here.

More Info:

I read elsewhere that to fix the warnings all I had to do was add .conf to the files... So I did for the ndiswrapper file, and I checked the Blacklist.conf file and it contained the content from the above instructions so I deleted the blacklist I had created... still not working though.

The output from the ndiswrapper -l && sudo depmod -a && sudo modprobe ndiswrapper command is the following:

dellnic : driver installed
    device (413C:8104) present (alternate driver: p54usb)

the following command: tail /var/log/messages returns:
    May 1 11:42:01 camden-desktop kernel: [ 12.464320] [drm] noveau 0000:01:00.0: Setting dpms mode 0 on vga encoder (output 2)
    May 1 11:42:01 camden-desktop kernel: [ 12.464326] [drm] noveau 0000:01:00.0: Output DVI-I-2 is running on CRTC 0 using output c
    May 1 11:42:01 camden-desktop kernel: [ 12.470563] Console: switching to color frame buffer device 160x64
    May 1 11:42:01 camden-desktop kernel: [ 12.489276] ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
    May 1 11:42:01 camden-desktop kernel: [ 12.590026] usb 1-7: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
    May 1 11:42:02 camden-desktop loadndisdriver: loadndisdriver: load_driver(358): couldn't load driver dellnic
    May 1 11:42:02 camden-desktop kernel: [ 12.801583] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    May 1 11:42:02 camden-desktop kernel: [ 13.452579] [drm] noveau 0000:01:00.0: Allocating FIFO number 1
    May 1 11:42:02 camden-desktop kernel: [ 13.455782] [drm] noveau 0000:01:00.0: noveau_channel_alloc: initialised FIFO 1
    May 1 11:42:11 camden-desktop pulseaudio[1205]: ratelimit.c: 37 events suppressed

I added the following command to the list of things I've tried:

echo -e "blacklist bcm43xx\nblacklist b43\nblacklist b43legacy\nblacklist ssb" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Nothing changed.
    Last edited by CJN; May 1st, 2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: New Info
    "There does not exist, nor can there exist, true chaos, rather what is taken to be chaotic is by nature a system which is governed by laws the observer either cannot or refuses to accept." ~Camden Narzt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by C4D View Post
    Alright, a couple of you have messaged me for help and so far I've brought success. Here's what you do for any one else who would like to know:
    If you do in fact have the same adapter as I do then the driver below will work 110% guaranteed.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/25ybis

1)Download the folder with drivers in it from the above link

2)Move the folder on your Linux machine to /home/user/bin (or, wherever you'd like to store it)

(...)

You are done! It should work flawlessly now. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I switched from Ubuntu to OpenSuse 11 (Gnome) 1 day after using Ubuntu (and was able to figure out my driver problem). Opensuse 11 is a better OS in my opinion and takes about 3 steps to get this driver working right... but suit yourself!

- Richard
    Went from Ubuntu 9.10 to Linux Mint 9 (fork of Ubuntu 10.4). In 9.10 I could install my Dell 1450 Wireless USB adapter by activating the "Broadcom STA wireless driver" in "Hardware Drivers". In 10.4 this is not possible any more.
    As workaround I installed this 2K Windows driver. Goto "Control Center" and select "Windows Wireless Drivers" (under "System"). Click "Install New Driver" and locate ./2K/DELLNIC.inf.

So many thanks for the link! You rock!

I found on another site that you can install "Windows Wireless Drivers". It's called ndisgtk. This is a quote that I found. Have fun with it!
    This tutorial shows how to install your Windows system wireless network-card driver in Ubunu using ndisgtk.
    Step1: Install ndisgtk.
    Go to System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager,search ndisgtk,then mark and install ndisgtk.(three packages ndiswrapper-common,ndiswrapper-utils,ndisgtk will be installed)
    this can be used to install Windows network card drivers in ubuntu system.
    Step2:
    After installed ndisgtk,open Windows Wireless Drivers from System->Administration menu.Then just click Install New Drivers and select your Windows card driver file to install.
    Finally,the installed network card driver will list in the left box.You can click the network manager icon at right-top of your screen and find wireless network.
    Last edited by Marc van der Wijst; November 7th, 2010 at 11:10 PM.

Beans

to cjn

Did you get the wireless card to run?
    I ask, because I ran the card on ubuntu 10.04 and now on ubuntu 12.04,
    if its the same card.
    Can tell you how.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.