Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EMU 0404 USB new thread

Hybrid View

Beans

EMU 0404 USB new thread

Hi, everyone!

I hope someone can help me, I have the EMU 0404 USB and it is not working "out of the box". I know that. But I know that someone has made it work!

There is an other thread about this subject, but it is (to me) a very large and hard to figure out.

My question is: are there anyone who can give me any hints how to make in work. just a bite! ...

I have seen on ALSA wiki that "Emu has delivered data sheets to developer". but it seems to be a long time ago. Are there any progress in that?

well, Are there anyone who can help a not too experienced linux user? in anyway? or know where to start.
    that would be appreciated!

Simon Grástein!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: EMU 0404 USB new thread

Hi there.

You need to update the 0404 USB firmware via Windows first.

In this case the card defaults to 44.1 after turning it on.

This way you can run very basic 44.1 via the snd_usb_audio.

However. I guess you'll experience XRUNS ( scratched sound)
    once in a while. As I said the driver works rather by coincidence
    on a very basic functionality basis.

Cheers

Beans

I wonder if there any progress on the driver at all.
    It's the only issue that prevents me from using Ubuntu instead of Windows XP. That scratches and overall instability (e.g. sound system crash after 10 minutes of playing) make it totally unusable for me.

Beans
    Distro

If you get along with 44.1/16, you need to install the newest ALSA > 1.0.17 manually.

Underruns/Hickups will disappear.

Here is a nice script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=820959

You need to change a line inside for snd-usb-audio driver support:
    ----------------
    #alsa-driver
    cd /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver*
    ./configure --with-cards=all --with-card-options=all --with-seqencer=yes --prefix=/usr
    make
    make install

----------------------

I introduced a more advanced script over here, which covers above, mulitple ALSA package select, 2.6.27 kernel(non-Ubuntu), pulseadio,... support:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=104

Enjoy.

Cheers
    Last edited by klss; September 22nd, 2008 at 02:35 PM.

Beans

Awesome, thanks a lot for such a helpful answer! Will try that out ASAP and report my success here. 44.1/16 is perfectly fine for me.

Beans

Just tried this script (with your modifications) - after rebooting the scratches/crashes remained - cat /proc/asound/version stills says that ALSA 1.0.16 is running, maybe I forgot to do something afterwards?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For information, I filed a bug on lauchpad, it concerns the E-MU 0202 USB but it's the same basic hardware as the 0404: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/243381

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bofphile View Post
    For information, I filed a bug on lauchpad, it concerns the E-MU 0202 USB but it's the same basic hardware as the 0404: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/243381
    Hi.

Alsa is neither supporting the EMU 0202USB nor EMU 0404USB officially (status: driver 1.018.rc3). They just made Alsa recognizing the card.

If these boxes work, they work by coincidence and 44.1/16 only

It seems that some Alsa designers got the specs and even a test system from EMU almost a year ago.

I tried to get in touch with Clemens Ladisch about it. No response. If've seen some people at several places offering help. They do not seem to be interested.

Afaik there is one major difference between 0202 and 0404.
    The 0404 is working in asynchronous transfer mode (slaving the PC).

Cheers

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mourner View Post
    Just tried this script (with your modifications) - after rebooting the scratches/crashes remained - cat /proc/asound/version stills says that ALSA 1.0.16 is running, maybe I forgot to do something afterwards?
    Try my latest script version - http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=104 .

You can just run it again.

I added some comments inside the script, especially how to log the output. This way you can see if something went wrong.

Please let me know how it worked.

Cheers
    Last edited by klss; September 22nd, 2008 at 02:36 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by klss View Post
    Try my latest script version - http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=104 .

You can just run it again.

I added some comments inside the script, especially how to log the output. This way you can see if something went wrong.

Please let me know how it worked.
    Hi! Your script worked flawlessly this time. The scratches disappeared and overall the sound system seems more stable, but still after approx 30 minutes of playing the system started hanging (first the sound stops working and then eventually all running applications stop to respond).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast