Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 (Wireless) driver??

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    2

    Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 (Wireless) driver??

    I recently installed Ubuntu linux on my Gateway PC, but the PC can pick up the wireless card but not show any access points. I ran "Hardware Testing" and learned that the card is a "Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)" I have tried to use ndiswrapper but I struck no gold. If someone can tell me how to use Ndiswrapper or a good alternative, The help would be greatly appreciated. (The computer has internet access now, but I don't want to carry the tower up 2 flights of stairs every time I want to download somthing xD.

    Thanks in advance,
    Simitra.

    EDIT: BTW I am running 8.10 Hardy Heron.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris
    Beans
    5,538
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 (Wireless) driver??

    I think that b43 (the driver being used by default for your card) may not support your particular chipset well. bcm43xx (an older driver) should work better, from what I gather from Google. Therefore ndiswrapper shouldn't be necessary (it would probably still work, but it would be preferable to have bcm43xx). Try following these steps to get the card working under bcm43xx (I'm assuming that you can plug into a wired connection for these steps; if that's impossible, please let me know):

    1. blacklist b43 driver and ndiswrapper:

    Code:
    sudo -s
    echo 'blacklist b43' >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    echo 'blacklist b43legacy' >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    echo 'blacklist b43 ssb' >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    echo 'blacklist ssb' >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    echo 'ndiswrapper' >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    2. install bcm43xx firmware:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter
    You should be prompted to download and install the firmware automatically when you run this command. Say yes.

    3. reboot and you should have working wireless. If it still won't work, please open up a terminal (Applications>Accessories menu), run these commands, and post the output here:
    Code:
    iwlist scan
    lshw -C Network
    lspci -nn

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Joburg
    Beans
    14
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 (Wireless) driver??

    Tried this to fix my problem but did not seem to work.Here is the output as requested:

    lspci -nn
    00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 Host Bridge [1002:7910]
    00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (Internal gfx) [1002:7912]
    00:07.0 PCI bridge [0604]: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (PCI Express Port 3) [1002:7917]
    00:12.0 SATA controller [0106]: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA [1002:4380]
    00:13.0 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI0) [1002:4387]
    00:13.1 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI1) [1002:4388]
    00:13.2 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI2) [1002:4389]
    00:13.3 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI3) [1002:438a]
    00:13.4 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI4) [1002:438b]
    00:13.5 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB Controller (EHCI) [1002:4386]
    00:14.0 SMBus [0c05]: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller [1002:4385] (rev 14)
    00:14.1 IDE interface [0101]: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 IDE [1002:438c]
    00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia [1002:4383]
    00:14.3 ISA bridge [0601]: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 PCI to LPC Bridge [1002:438d]
    00:14.4 PCI bridge [0604]: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge [1002:4384]
    00:18.0 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration [1022:1100]
    00:18.1 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map [1022:1101]
    00:18.2 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller [1022:1102]
    00:18.3 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control [1022:1103]
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 [Radeon X1200 Series] [1002:791e]
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 01)
    03:06.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4318] (rev 02)
    03:07.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller [1106:3044] (rev c0)

    iwlist scan
    lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

    eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

    sudo lshw -C Network
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 01
    serial: 00:1d:60:77:9e:29
    size: 100MB/s
    capacity: 1GB/s
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.2LK duplex=full ip=10.0.0.34 latency=0 link=yes module=r8169 multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100MB/s
    *-network
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 6
    bus info: pci@0000:03:06.0
    version: 02
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master
    configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=64 module=ssb

    Any help would be much appreciated.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Beans
    2,983
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 (Wireless) driver??

    You may consider trying the experimental broadcom driver... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=880218

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris
    Beans
    5,538
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 (Wireless) driver??

    You may consider trying the experimental broadcom driver... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=880218
    This may work too; I don't know what the status of the latest b43 code is, but if it purports to support all Broadcom chipsets, then it would probably work for you (is there any way to find out for sure if this code will support BCM4318 reliably?).

    Otherwise, soan, it looks like the driver that you installed yesterday (bcm43xx) is not driving your card for some reason because it's being pushed out by b43. Please try running this code and post the output:
    Code:
    sudo rmmod b43
    sudo rmmod b43legacy
    sudo rmmod ssb
    sudo rmmod ndiswrapper
    sudo rmmod bcm43xx
    sudo modprobe bcm43xx
    sudo ifconfig eth1 up
    iwlist eth1 scan
    It should manually force the removal of the competing modules, and make your wireless work.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Beans
    2,983
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 (Wireless) driver??

    Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    This may work too; I don't know what the status of the latest b43 code is, but if it purports to support all Broadcom chipsets, then it would probably work for you (is there any way to find out for sure if this code will support BCM4318 reliably?).

    Otherwise, soan, it looks like the driver that you installed yesterday (bcm43xx) is not driving your card for some reason because it's being pushed out by b43. Please try running this code and post the output:
    Code:
    sudo rmmod b43
    sudo rmmod b43legacy
    sudo rmmod ssb
    sudo rmmod ndiswrapper
    sudo rmmod bcm43xx
    sudo modprobe bcm43xx
    sudo ifconfig eth1 up
    iwlist eth1 scan
    It should manually force the removal of the competing modules, and make your wireless work.
    This actually isn't based on the b43 driver. It's a driver produced by Broadcom.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    readlink("/proc/self/exe"
    Beans
    1,120
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 (Wireless) driver??

    Driver installation is always the same.


    Graphics:
    NVIDIA and ATI graphics card GL driver you needn't install, because they don't work anyway.
    Else see wireless:

    Wireless:
    Download and install the latest kernel
    Then search for the firmware, if necessary.

    For Broadcom B43:
    apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

    For SuSe:
    zypper install b43-fwcutter
    /usr/bsin/install bcm43xx_firmware
    zypper install fw

    Sound:
    Is in the kernel. Update the kernel, and problems are gone.
    But when you update the kernel, you may need to recompile ALSA.
    If there's no sound as root, you need to start the pulseaudio-daemon.
    (/usr/bin/pulseaudio)
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
    Linux is like a wigwam.... no Gates, no Windows but Apache inside!
    http://www.debianadmin.com
    apt-get install libstdc++6-4.3-doc

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    London
    Beans
    23
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 (Wireless) driver??

    Quote Originally Posted by Liambiscuit View Post
    I recently installed Ubuntu linux on my Gateway PC, but the PC can pick up the wireless card but not show any access points. I ran "Hardware Testing" and learned that the card is a "Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)" I have tried to use ndiswrapper but I struck no gold. If someone can tell me how to use Ndiswrapper or a good alternative, The help would be greatly appreciated. (The computer has internet access now, but I don't want to carry the tower up 2 flights of stairs every time I want to download somthing xD.

    Thanks in advance,
    Simitra.

    EDIT: BTW I am running 8.10 Hardy Heron.

    A very common problem - I've had it once and again and see people have it all the time - yet the solutions is rather simple!

    Try this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9903527

    If you still have any problems, let us know..

    Godd luck

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    2,601

    Re: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 (Wireless) driver??

    Quote Originally Posted by guntu View Post
    A very common problem - I've had it once and again and see people have it all the time - yet the solutions is rather simple!

    Try this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9903527

    If you still have any problems, let us know..

    Godd luck



    You do realize this was posted almost 2-1/2 years ago, right?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •