Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Source OrCAD and PCB prgrams?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Open Source OrCAD and PCB prgrams?

I am an Electrical Design Engineer and currently use Cadence OrCAD schematic layout and Mentor Graphics PADS on Windows for all of my design needs. I have been using Ubuntu and other Linux OS'es at home now for over a year, but I am still stuck using Windows at work.

I am changing jobs next month and the new company is letting me choose my own schematic capture and layout tools. I want to use Ubuntu at my new job but am having a hard time finding a good design program set that works with Linux/Gnome.

I have tried using WINE with OrCAD without much success and so far, all of the open source Schematic tools I have found feel more like a teaching tool then a serious schematic and layout program.

Can I get other Engineers to vote in on what they use please? It would be great if the programs are at least compatible with the design files of OrCAD and can create standard Gerbers.

-AR

P.S.: I am not sure if this is the correct category for this thread so forgive me if it is not.
    Actors make their living playing pretend, so why do we listen to them about how we should live in the real world?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Open Source OrCAD and PCB prgrams?

NO REPLY FROM NETWORK, RETRYING...
    ping ubuntuforums.org/Open_Source_OrCAD_and_PCB_prgrams
    <PING>
    ;it's your turn now Ubuntu Forums!

-AR
    Actors make their living playing pretend, so why do we listen to them about how we should live in the real world?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i need this too, or at least a simple circuit design program

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Have you tried Qcad? It is in the repository. I believe Google apps has a possible solution for simple drawings.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ARhere View Post
    I am an Electrical Design Engineer and currently use Cadence OrCAD schematic layout and Mentor Graphics PADS on Windows for all of my design needs. I have been using Ubuntu and other Linux OS'es at home now for over a year, but I am still stuck using Windows at work.

I am changing jobs next month and the new company is letting me choose my own schematic capture and layout tools. I want to use Ubuntu at my new job but am having a hard time finding a good design program set that works with Linux/Gnome.

I have tried using WINE with OrCAD without much success and so far, all of the open source Schematic tools I have found feel more like a teaching tool then a serious schematic and layout program.

Can I get other Engineers to vote in on what they use please? It would be great if the programs are at least compatible with the design files of OrCAD and can create standard Gerbers.

-AR

P.S.: I am not sure if this is the correct category for this thread so forgive me if it is not.
    I had been running into the same problems. Having spent many years using OrCAD & Simulink, I found those the other programs (electric & Qucs) good for basic educational needs, but not for major circuit simulation. I'm using Orenago, it's no OrCAD, but it does work as a great substitute. Plus, Orenago is in the repository!

Beans

KiCAD in Ubuntu software centre.... i too not tried... u try it out...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

serious schematic and layout program.
    We are slowly migrating to open source tools at my University. We are beginning to use gEDA and ngSpice for EDA tasks.
    However the problem of being unable to view Orcad Files in linux has not gone away...

Abhijit K

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

so far, all of the open source Schematic tools I have found feel more like a teaching tool then a serious schematic and layout program.
    An open-source serious schematic and layout programme? How serious are your goals (evaluation, debug, design with ultimate tape-out)?

As much as I am a fan of open source myself, as a design engineer, I should say that no open-source alternative beats Cadence or ADS if your ultimate goal is to make a functional chip.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by almikul View Post
    ...functional chip.
    Ah.. well i'm doing board level design... Schematic, layout, footprints... No chip level design. Sorry if i was vague about that...

~Abhijit

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Open Source OrCAD and PCB prgrams?

ppl, did someone try the FEL (Fedora Electronics Laboratory) LiveDVD? I got it running in my system and has hoards of stuff in it right from RF to MEMS. I just checked out ma usual stuff; KICAD which worked well. It comes as an OS, is 1.4GiB (or so) and is a live package (dint find an option to install) tho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast