Thread: Any music player that supports zip/rar/p7zip files?!

Hybrid View

Beans

Any music player that supports zip/rar/p7zip files?!

Is there anything on GNU/Linux world like Foobar2000?

I have lots of mp3 albuns in RAR or ZIP archives... It SUCKS having to unarchive them every time... just for Linux :-/

Beans

Re: Any music player that supports zip/rar/p7zip files?!

I would think if anything amarok. I could only try a .rar, none of the 6 methods available here were successful
    (engage, open with, drag and drop, my r. click actions - enqueue, append, load)
    Maybe there's a script - ck. amarok website

Beans

I would think you could write some type of script to do this. If you can't find a way with a native Linux package then you could install foobar via wine. I love the "live show tagger" in foobar and their is nothing comparable in Linux so I use foobar through wine and it works fine. Their is a method for installing foobar in wine on the foobar forums.

Beans

I don't think its a good idea to compress your music. Don't you lose quality doing that?

Most of the formats are already compressed.

Beans

same as zipping any other file... you dont loose anything and you dont gain much of anything since music files are already compressed.

the most common use that i know of is for file sharing. people share/seed archived files so being able to play it out of the archive saves them from having 2 copes on the computer (one archived for sharing and another to listen to), theres probably more uses that i cant think of at the minute like maybe data corruption or password protection etc. . you get the idea ;p

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Angry Re: Any music player that supports zip/rar/p7zip files?!

Hello,
    so is there anything like foobar for linux?
    Since i have more than 200Gb of music in .rar files it's a great nuisance to always be decompressing them to be able to listen to them.

Cheers from a noob