Thread: Compiz needs to play nicely with others

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Compiz needs to play nicely with others

Compiz needs to be made to stop interfeating with other OpenGL apps if it is to be on by default IMHO.
    It currently makes other OpenGL apps run slowly, show artefacts and crash on my nVidia system. It also interfears with full screen mode on some apps which arn't using OpenGL (eg wesnoth)
    I'm not sure what the problem is, but i think it neeeds to be fixed.
    Thanks

Beans

Re: Compiz needs to play nicely with others

I do agree.. I think it should turn itself off when i start a 3d game, no need for desktop effects when i am gaming...
    But I do not think you should post this here... compiz-fusion.org seems to be the place

Greetz
    "Umuntu ngumuntu ngabanye bantu" - Xhosa saying.
    (People are people because of other people)

Beans

Keyword: DRI2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation Re: Compiz needs to play nicely with others

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    Keyword: DRI2.
    Is that a replacement for Compiz? A module? Something different?

I googled a little but didn't fine a clear explanation.

OP: Yes, Compiz should not be active by default if it messes up other applications!
    FireHOL: An amazing, powerful, linux server firewall that is easy to understand, configure, and use!

Check it out if you want a secure Ubuntu Server: sudo apt-get install firehol

Beans

DRI stands for Direct Rendering Infrastructure, and DRI2 is the recent rewrite of that component which fixes some (otherwise unfixable) problems with video overlays and OpenGL.

More info: http://hoegsberg.blogspot.com/2008/0...dri2-work.html
    Last edited by 23meg; June 3rd, 2008 at 03:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Prosthetic Head View Post
    It currently makes other OpenGL apps run slowly, show artefacts and crash on my nVidia system. It also interfears with full screen mode on some apps which arn't using OpenGL (eg wesnoth)
    I'm not sure what the problem is, but i think it neeeds to be fixed.
    Thanks
    I don't see these problem on my nvidia system, and I've been playing plenty of games with Compiz, both in wine and natively. If it's not some unrelated problem it'll be a problem in the nvidia drivers. Compiz has plenty of bugs, but it exposes many, many more driver bugs than it has itself .

Quote Originally Posted by Ashrael View Post
    I do agree.. I think it should turn itself off when i start a 3d game, no need for desktop effects when i am gaming...
    Welcome to the wonderful world of "unredirect fullscreen windows", aka "Don't composite fullscreen windows". Available in System->Preferences->Advanced Desktop Effects (Core options). I'm not sure if that's on by default now, but it used to expose a bug in gnome-screensaver's screen locking technique, so it might not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke has no name View Post
    Is that a replacement for Compiz? A module? Something different?
    DRI2 is the replacement Direct Rendering Interface protocol (In simple terms: how X drivers can talk directly to the video card). DRI2 basically makes it possible to fix all the X/driver limitations we currently have. It's not quite the same as 'redirected direct rendering', but it's a part of the implementation.
    Remember: if your problem is not described on a Launchpad bug, it can only be fixed by accident!

Beans

Metacity is still the best option for me in a number of cases.

Smooth scroll in both Firefox and Opera is much smoother in metacity. In compiz its jerky. Flash is not OpenGL hardware accellerated in Compiz while it is in metacity. ANd Google Earth is pretty much always smooth in metacity, while in Compiz its quite spluttery.

SO yes, compiz does need to play nicer/better with some apps in some cases. But i fear that even with Xserver changes like DRi2, we will still be waiting on gfx card vendors (nvidia in my case) to update their binary drivers.