Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Hardy encryption details

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    76

    Thumbs down Hardy encryption details

    Can anyone point me to a site that has the details of the install time encryption used in Hardy?

    I'd like to know:
    • Is the swap partition encrypted?

    • How can the password be changed after the installation?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    US and A
    Beans
    919
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Hardy encryption details

    Not sure on your password question, however, yes, the swap partition is encrypted, the only thing that isn't is the /boot partition which must remain unencrypted to be bootable.
    _,-O
    O
    (_)) ubuntu -
    -`-O

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    880
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Question Re: Hardy encryption details

    For those of you who are using Hardy with encryption, how's it working for you? Is there any noticeable speed difference? I have a perfectly good unencrypted Hardy system (upgraded from Gutsy), but I think I'm going to start fresh with encrypted Hardy on a new drive.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Hardy encryption details

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelzap View Post
    For those of you who are using Hardy with encryption, how's it working for you? Is there any noticeable speed difference? I have a perfectly good unencrypted Hardy system (upgraded from Gutsy), but I think I'm going to start fresh with encrypted Hardy on a new drive.
    no, not much speed difforence, (on my core duo laptop), if it's an older machine, there might be a problem.

    make sure you get the Text Installer "Alternative" CD or the DVD to install using full disk encryption

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    880
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Hardy encryption details

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve413z View Post
    no, not much speed difforence, (on my core duo laptop), if it's an older machine, there might be a problem.
    Decided to give it a try tonight, and indeed it seems just as fast as my previous unencrypted system. I still have to install and configure all of the apps and whatnot that I use, but it's nice to have a clean slate to scribble on. I'll be right back to work tomorrow morning with a brand new system under the hood.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Switzerland
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

    Re: Hardy encryption details

    you'll notice a difference when you start big read/write operations... but on a "normal" use, you hardly notice anything...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Switzerland
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

    Re: Hardy encryption details

    Quote Originally Posted by update_manager View Post
    Is the swap partition encrypted?
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by update_manager View Post
    How can the password be changed after the installation?
    Yes, it can

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Beans
    133
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Hardy encryption details

    I wrote this how-to, which is focused on intel Macbook Pros dual-booting ubuntu, but the instructions for the encryption should be the same.

    I've noticed zero speed difference.
    Ubuntu 13.10x64 on Thinkpad x220 with crypted / and swap

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Switzerland
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

    Re: Hardy encryption details

    Quote Originally Posted by update_manager View Post
    How can the password be changed after the installation?
    Code:
    sudo cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sdX
    You can have up to 10 slots of passwords or keyfiles and with luksAddKey you add new ones.... and with luksDeleteKey you remove existing ones.

    Have a look at the cryptsetup man pages how to use those commands at fully extend.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    76

    Re: Hardy encryption details

    Quote Originally Posted by hyper_ch View Post
    Code:
    sudo cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sdX
    You can have up to 10 slots of passwords or keyfiles and with luksAddKey you add new ones.... and with luksDeleteKey you remove existing ones.

    Have a look at the cryptsetup man pages how to use those commands at fully extend.
    Thanks!

    If I wanted to take an existing mapping, I could boot into my current setup, then use:
    cryptsetup reload luksAddKey

    Does this sound right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •