Thread: nautilus root problem

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

nautilus root problem

Hi, I installed the latest version of Ubuntu the day it was released and I am having nautilus problems (I think). I ran 2 instances of this command at once (2 terminals):
    >sudo nautilus

I did this to simplify copying some sound files from my download dir to my /usr/share/sounds/ dir. I have never had a problem doing this in the past but in this latest version it messes up Gnome. Everything ran fine until I rebooted and then it just hangs trying to load gnome. I checked the permissions of the files I moved. The files are owned by root and have the proper permissions. I even removed the files I placed in the /usr/share/sounds dir. The exact same problem has happened on 2 different machines now (the second machine I didnt move any files I just opened >sudo nautilus and browsed around and then x'ed out.) I can run XFCE on the second machine but I have not tried on the original. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have finals this week and I really don't have much time to figure this out (or reinstall for that matter). Thanks in advance.
    suppressive personality

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: nautilus root problem

If it's not such a big trouble, try removing the nautilus settings from your users directory. Else than that, try adding a new user and log in as the new user. Does this still happen?
    8.10 on HDX16-1050ev
    My Ubuntu Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

ok first thanks for the ideas. I created a new user with no problems I was able to start gnome with nothing abnormal happeneing. but looking at my old profile I have a directory with weird permissions listed (or rather nothing listed.) So I did a ls -al in my old dir and I got

-rw-r--r-- 1 obis666 obis666 249 2008-05-11 13:54 .gtk-bookmarks
    d????????? ? ? ? ? ? .gvfs
    -rw------- 1 obis666 obis666 3464 2008-05-11 13:56 .ICEauthority

yes the question marks are there. I didnt fill them in.

so I did a
    >sudo bash
    and then:
    >chown -R obis666 .gvfs
    and got:
    >chown: cannot access `.gvfs': Permission denied

then I did a:
    >chmod 700 .gvfs
    and got:
    >chmod: cannot access `.gvfs': Permission denied

any ideas?
    suppressive personality

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

ok, after logging out of the new profile has the same result. It just hangs on startup. this occurs over and over, create a new profile from failsafe term, reboot, then the profile no longer works. any help please?
    suppressive personality

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It seems that logging in creates settings for a specific process which is not able to auto start again based on them. I suggest you firstly disable compiz and if that was not the problem go to System>Administration>Services and start playing with the services (disable one by one to see which one causes the problem)
    8.10 on HDX16-1050ev
    My Ubuntu Blog