Thread: SERP2 built-in webcam and Hardy?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Cool SERP2 built-in webcam and Hardy?

This is addressed to the folks at System76, but if anyone has information regarding the impending functionality for the SERP2 webcam (there was hope that Hardy might give the System76 folks the toold they needed to get the built-in webcam up and running)

Is there an ETA for built-in webcam functionality under Hardy Heron? This has been on the hot list for more than a year ... and with each new release we have been told, "We're working on it." It reminds me of the old computer industry joke about "You said you'd have that feature ready in the 1st Quarter." To which the marketing guy replies under his breath, "Yeah. But we didn't say 1st Quarter of which year."

I just want to know if I should continue to wait, or just go out and purchase an Ubuntu compatible notebook webcam to clip on my Serval Performance SERP2.

And while we're on the subject, it would be nice to have the fingerprint reader up and running with password login functionality for at least logging in to Ubuntu, but that's just a nice to have, for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: SERP2 built-in webcam and Hardy?

Quote Originally Posted by asmiller-ke6seh View Post

I just want to know if I should continue to wait, or just go out and purchase an Ubuntu compatible notebook webcam to clip on my Serval Performance SERP2.
    I'm saving my pennies for an off board camera, like one of the Logitech laptop clip on cams.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: SERP2 built-in webcam and Hardy?

Yeah. I probably will, too. But it's so clunky, having to clip it, run a wire, and plug into another USB port (I am already using one for my trackball). It's kind of contrary to the reason why I bought a laptop; if I wanted to deal with wires, I would have gotten one of those cute mini- units.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by asmiller-ke6seh View Post
    This is addressed to the folks at System76, but if anyone has information regarding the impending functionality for the SERP2 webcam (there was hope that Hardy might give the System76 folks the toold they needed to get the built-in webcam up and running)

Is there an ETA for built-in webcam functionality under Hardy Heron? This has been on the hot list for more than a year ... and with each new release we have been told, "We're working on it."
    Wait... you're telling me that System76 sells you a component in a laptop that is not supported in the operating system? the webcam is just dead there on the laptop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Luke has no name View Post
    Wait... you're telling me that System76 sells you a component in a laptop that is not supported in the operating system? the webcam is just dead there on the laptop?
    No, that's not what I am saying. When I bought the SERP2, I was told that this would be enabled in the future. The chip used in this webcam is/was not supported by the available Open Source solutions for webcams. However, System76 has represented that they would get this working, and that there was some kind of priority to get this done.

Everytime there is a new Ubuntu release, I like to check in to see if they think there will be a solution made available. It's really no big deal ... just a nice to have. I spent about $1200 for the laptop, so what's another $50 to $100 for an external webcam.

However, as I stated, I would really like to see support for the internal webcam.

Also, I understand that the SERP3 and SERP4 have webcams with supported chips.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I too am asking this same question re the SERP 2 webcam. As newer models come on stream with working web cams our SERP 2's are being left behind. I'm waiting.

H Karl Juelch
    juelch@davtv.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

SUPPORT FOR THE SERP2 WEBCAM!

This information is courtesy of a System76 customer. I'll not list his name here for privacy reasons, but I will point him to this thread in case he wants to get involved in any discussing this issue further.

Below are his instructions. We will be testing in the shop too, but I think he hit the nail on the head. So if anybody out there wants to try it...

Once we're finished testing in the shop, we will release the fix in the System76 driver.

The driver for the webcam is here: https://groups.google.com/group/microdia

Instructions on downloading and building the driver follow. For more
    thorough instructions, I'd recommend looking at
    https://groups.google.com/group/micr...a-driver-draft.

GETTING THE SERVAL PERFORMANCE (SERP2) WEB CAM TO WORK

Since we'll be compiling a kernel driver, you'll need to install the
    kernel source files:

$ sudo apt-get install kernel-package linux-source build-essential

Next you'll need to install 'git' so we can download the driver's source code:

$ sudo apt-get install git-core gitk git-gui git-doc curl

Now we'll download the webcam driver:

$ git clone http://repo.or.cz/r/microdia.git

Let's compile the kernel module (webcam driver):

$ cd microdia
    $ make

Load our new kernel driver:

$ sudo insmod ./microdia.ko

Check to see that the driver loaded successfully:

$ dmesg

You should see something like this at the bottom of the output:

[107348.616179] microdia: Microdia USB2.0 webcam driver startup
    [107348.616563] microdia: Microdia USB2.0 Webcam - Product ID 624F.
    [107348.616570] microdia: Release: 0100
    [107348.616574] microdia: Number of interfaces : 1
    [107348.623570] microdia: Microdia USB2.0 Camera is now controlling
    video device /dev/video0
    [107348.623950] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb_microdia_driver

If you run into any problems, see
    https://groups.google.com/group/micr...a-driver-draft
    for more details.

Please note that I didn't write the driver; I just discovered it this
    evening and got it running. Also, using "insmod ./microdia.ko" only
    loads the driver until you reboot your machine. The driver won't be
    loaded automatically unless you take further steps (see the link
    above). I haven't played with the webcam too much yet, but I did test
    is briefly using VLC:

$ sudo apt-get install vlc
    $ vlc

Once VLC is running, select File > Open Capture Device... Set the
    "Video device name" to /dev/video0 (or whatever appears in the dmesg
    output above). Click OK. You should see a window displaying the
    webcam video.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    SUPPORT FOR THE SERP2 WEBCAM!

This information is courtesy of a System76 customer. I'll not list his name here for privacy reasons, but I will point him to this thread in case he wants to get involved in any discussing this issue further.

Below are his instructions. We will be testing in the shop too, but I think he hit the nail on the head. So if anybody out there wants to try it...

Once we're finished testing in the shop, we will release the fix in the System76 driver.

The driver for the webcam is here: https://groups.google.com/group/microdia

I followed the instructions (above, and in the google groups page, listed above) it's WORKING!!!

Thanks Thomas Aaron and the Mystery People who found this solution.

T.A. - you can tell your Development and Support people that this driver works and can be used as the basis of adding the Web Cam to the System76 Driver support. It's 640 x 480, full color. But most of all, IT WORKS.