Thread: infraction?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool infraction?

OK - someone tell me how this post gave me an infraction and this message from p-quarles.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...60#post4747860

and this message:

Dear steveneddy,

You have received an infraction at Ubuntu Forums.

Reason: Recommending illegal activity
    -------
    steveneddy -- Recommending illegal downloading of copyrighted material as a solution to a problem is very clearly spelled out as against the rules here. Given your history of apparently not taking the forum's rules to heart, I suggest that you review the Code of Conduct carefully before making any further posts here.
    -------

This infraction is worth 2 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4747860
    Quote:
    Limewire?
    All the best,
    Ubuntu Forums
    So tell me how Limewire is copyrighted material?

I have the Nvidia drivers too! Are you gonna give me a point for having them?

I watch DVD's on my laptop and I live in the US. How many points for that?

Something tells me that the forums are getting worse when I can't post a one word post and get slapped for it.

An infraction?

My goodness, we have been here before. Why can't someone just email me and tell me whatever it is wrong.

I have almost 2000 posts and I have posted worse and never getten so many infractions as I have in the last few months.

What gives, guys?

I still don't know what is wrong with Limewire? Anyone want to enlighten me?
    Why is Limewire illegal?
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: infraction?

The original poster in the thread in question asked for referrals to cd sets of music from the era in question, presumably in order to purchase the cd sets.

Instead of answering his question, you simply posted the name of a file-sharing p2p torrent program used for the legal sharing of files, but also commonly used for the illegal sharing of copyrighted materials, like music. The obvious implication of your post was that the original poster should use Limewire to search for music that matches his request and download it.

I am not aware of any legal music sales occurring over Limewire, and you were certainly not pointing the original poster to look for independent releases, since he was quite specific in what he was looking for.

I am in no way inclined to reverse the infraction. I'm convinced you knew what you were doing and how the post would be read. You got caught. It happens. Learn from it and please don't use our forums to encourage participation in illegal activity.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!