Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Tutorials on Forum Basics

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Tutorials on Forum Basics

    Some of the users on these forums are pretty forum-savvy--they've used forums for other subjects even if they're new to Ubuntu, so they know how to ask questions, how to find their old threads, etc.

    Well, other users ask us from time to time how to do the forum basics (How do I post a new thread? How do I find my old threads?), and it occurred to me that we don't really have tutorials for those things on our site, and maybe we should. So here they are: one tutorial per post.

    Please feel free to add your own tutorials to this thread, if you think they'd be helpful to new users--only tutorials on how to use the forums, not on how to use Ubuntu.
    Last edited by aysiu; March 16th, 2008 at 06:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Where do I post a thread?

    The forum is basically broken up into four main sections, with a bunch of subsections in each one.

    The three main sections are Absolute Beginner, Main Support Categories, Other Community Discussions, and Forum Community Discussions.

    If you're looking for support on a technical issue, your best bets are to post in the Absolute Beginner section (if you're new) or in the Main Support Categories (if you're not new).

    If you have a thread that is not to do with technical support, you should post in one of the other subforums.

    Please try to post in the appropriate subforum, though, as this will help keep the forums organized and will help others be able to find you to help you or to find your thread later to help themselves.

    Avoid cross-posting. Post only one thread per topic. Do not, if you have a problem with getting your laptop to resume from suspend, post one thread about it in Absolute Beginner, another thread about it in Hardware & Laptop Support, and yet another about it in General Help. Cross-posting bumps other people's threads down, dilutes support from users trying to help you, and is generally considered parasitic--you may receive warnings or infractions for such behavior.

    When in doubt, post one thread per problem and put in Absolute Beginner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    How do I make a new thread?

    Once you've found the subforum you want to post in (Absolute Beginner, for example), click Make New Post to start a new thread for your problem.

    Once you do that, you'll be able to create a thread title for your thread. Please pick one that actually gives an indication to others of what your thread is about. Avoid vague attention-seeking titles like Please help! I'm pulling my hair out! or If this is the kind of problem Ubuntu is going to give me, I'm going back to Windows or Help! I'm a noob. Urgent!

    If it's a sound problem, say it's a sound problem. If it's a CD burning problem, say it's a CD burning problem.

    Once you type your thread title and hit Tab, the forum will automatically search for threads on a similar topic. The idea is that many "new" questions have actually been asked and solved before. You can save yourself (and others) a lot of time and energy by just seeing if the answer might be out there for you, so feel free to middle-click these search results and see if any of them help. If they don't, continue to type your initial thread post.

    In your thread's first post, please explain briefly your situation, what you've tried, and any other information that may be helpful to people who are not standing right behind you looking at your computer monitor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aysiu; June 15th, 2010 at 06:29 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    9
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: How do I make a new thread?

    i don't see the make new post icon on the page. where is it exactly?


    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Once you've in the subforum you want to post in (Absolute Beginner, for example), click Make New Post to start a new thread for your problem.

    Once you do that, you'll be able to create a thread title for your thread. Please pick one that actually gives an indication to others of what your thread is about. Avoid vague attention-seeking titles like Please help! I'm pulling my hair out! or If this is the kind of problem Ubuntu is going to give me, I'm going back to Windows or Help! I'm a noob. Urgent!

    If it's a sound problem, say it's a sound problem. If it's a CD burning problem, say it's a CD burning problem.

    Once you type your thread title and hit Tab, the forum will automatically search for threads on a similar topic. The idea is that many "new" questions have actually been asked and solved before. You can save yourself (and others) a lot of time and energy by just seeing if the answer might be out there for you, so feel free to middle-click these search results and see if any of them help. If they don't, continue to type your initial thread post.

    In your thread's first post, please explain briefly your situation, what you've tried, and any other information that may be helpful to people who are not standing right behind you looking at your computer monitor.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Beans
    23,259
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How do I make a new thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by lynx shadow View Post
    i don't see the make new post icon on the page. where is it exactly?
    New thread button see screen shot attached
    Last edited by overdrank; June 15th, 2009 at 05:50 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Beans
    14

    Re: How do I make a new thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Once you've in the subforum you want to post in (Absolute Beginner, for example), click Make New Post to start a new thread for your problem.

    Once you do that, you'll be able to create a thread title for your thread. Please pick one that actually gives an indication to others of what your thread is about. Avoid vague attention-seeking titles like Please help! I'm pulling my hair out! or If this is the kind of problem Ubuntu is going to give me, I'm going back to Windows or Help! I'm a noob. Urgent!

    If it's a sound problem, say it's a sound problem. If it's a CD burning problem, say it's a CD burning problem.

    Once you type your thread title and hit Tab, the forum will automatically search for threads on a similar topic. The idea is that many "new" questions have actually been asked and solved before. You can save yourself (and others) a lot of time and energy by just seeing if the answer might be out there for you, so feel free to middle-click these search results and see if any of them help. If they don't, continue to type your initial thread post.

    In your thread's first post, please explain briefly your situation, what you've tried, and any other information that may be helpful to people who are not standing right behind you looking at your computer monitor.
    Thank you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Beans
    14

    Re: How do I make a new thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Once you've in the subforum you want to post in (Absolute Beginner, for example), click Make New Post to start a new thread for your problem.

    Once you do that, you'll be able to create a thread title for your thread. Please pick one that actually gives an indication to others of what your thread is about. Avoid vague attention-seeking titles like Please help! I'm pulling my hair out! or If this is the kind of problem Ubuntu is going to give me, I'm going back to Windows or Help! I'm a noob. Urgent!

    If it's a sound problem, say it's a sound problem. If it's a CD burning problem, say it's a CD burning problem.

    Once you type your thread title and hit Tab, the forum will automatically search for threads on a similar topic. The idea is that many "new" questions have actually been asked and solved before. You can save yourself (and others) a lot of time and energy by just seeing if the answer might be out there for you, so feel free to middle-click these search results and see if any of them help. If they don't, continue to type your initial thread post.

    In your thread's first post, please explain briefly your situation, what you've tried, and any other information that may be helpful to people who are not standing right behind you looking at your computer monitor.
    I said "thank you" before I checked it out. Oops. Well, I cannot find the page for the 'subforums' with the "make new post" link, but I did find the page with a link to start a new thread. I presume they are one and the same thing. If not, please direct me to the subforum page. In fact, please tell me where the subforum page is so I will know anyway. Thanks.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    How do I attach an image to my post?

    Before you submit your post, scroll down to Additional Options.

    In that section, you'll see a little box that says Attach Files. Within that box, click the button called Manage Attachments and a new window should appear.

    From that new window, you can Browse and Upload images from your hard drive to the forums.

    Once you're done, you can click Submit Reply finally submit your thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aysiu; March 16th, 2008 at 06:00 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    How do I find my old threads?

    If you are a beginner, you likely have a lot of questions (many new users often have three or four simultaneous support issues going on at once--perhaps one thread about getting wireless to work, one about how to install software, and one about user account management).

    To find the threads you started, click on Search and select Find All Your Threads.

    This will do a search for any thread in which you were the first person to post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    How do I mark my thread as solved?

    Marking your thread as solved is a great thing to do.

    First of all, it lets those know who were helping you that their help worked.

    More importantly, for other new users starting new threads (remember that automatic search when you start a new thread?), if they see a thread that's marked as solved, they know they're more likely to find a useful solution in that thread.

    To mark your thread solved, go to Thead Tools and select Mark this thread as solved

    Your thread should now have the prefix [SOLVED] in the subject title.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jpeddicord; September 1st, 2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: solved feature is back!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •