Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Mythbuntu Alpha 4 observations / requests

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Beans
    183
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Mythbuntu Alpha 4 observations / requests

    Items 1-3 copied from my post in multimedia forum.

    1. Guided partitioning: The default seems to be 50% of the drive is used for the OS. Could the default be set to the required space that a Standard Mythbuntu install uses, plus a reasonable safety margin? What is the default Swap size in guided partitioning? is it 2X memory size? If memory is large enough, wouldn't 2X be a waste of drive space?

    2. Kernel memory use: Does the standard kernel utilize all available memory or is it limited to 1gig? I read that the standard linux kernel would not utilize all available memory, and one would have to be compiled to use more than that. A followup would be is myth able to use memory above the 1gig limit?

    3. LVM support: I'm running a 5 drive system on my master backend. An option to set up a LVM with the EXT3 space on the primary drive and all of the space on the additional drives would be sweet.

    4. Possible bug: when erasing all recordings, or the last recording; the system seems to hang on the now empty menu. ESC doesn't return me to the prior level. It takes a forced reboot to get back to operational condition. This has happened several times.

    5. Possible bug: after a scheduled recording aborted, the recordings menu reported no recordings at all. System status indicated drive space useage. Reboot recovered recordings. One occurance each of the aborted recording and the temporary loss of all other recordings.

    Any estimate of release date?

    Thanks for the efforts on Mythbuntu!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Beans
    2,983
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Mythbuntu Alpha 4 observations / requests

    I plan to do a custom partitioning recipe, but it might not make it into the 7.10 release with all of the other items that need to be sorted out still. If someone wants to dive into helping figure that out, that'd be great.

    As far as I know, you will be able to use up to 4G RAM with the standard kernels.

    LVM: Not going to happen for 7.10, but I want to discuss it at UDS. If you will be there, come join.

    What filesystem are you using that you were removing recordings from? If its ext3, then you need to turn on slow writes in mythtv-setup.

    Estimates of release date? Right after gutsy release is the plan (barring any extenuating circumstances). We are very near to a beta however.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    9

    Re: Mythbuntu Alpha 4 observations / requests

    Quote Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
    LVM: Not going to happen for 7.10, but I want to discuss it at UDS. If you will be there, come join.
    I take it RAID also will not be supported then?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Off the Alaskan Coast
    Beans
    794
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Mythbuntu Alpha 4 observations / requests

    Quote Originally Posted by superm1 said
    What filesystem are you using that you were removing recordings from? If its ext3, then you need to turn on slow writes in mythtv-setup.
    I have been using JSF on my /video partition and this seems to cure the problem.
    FIC K8-800T AMD64 3200+ 2GB PC3200 GeForce 6800GT Mandriva 2010 KDE+Compiz+Emerald
    MSI K9N2GM AMD 9950BE 4GB DDR2-800 GeForce 8200 10.10 WUSB600N
    Acer 6920 Core 2 Duo 4GB GeForce 9500GS 10.04 Ubuntu User #17586

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Beans
    2,983
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Mythbuntu Alpha 4 observations / requests

    Quote Originally Posted by jadfw007 View Post
    I take it RAID also will not be supported then?
    Well not to say it "won't work", but it won't be configurable in the installer. By doing a derivative frontend of ubiquity we have all the benefits it does of a fast install, but also defficiencies with regard to LVM and RAID.

    If you want to do either of these setups (in 7.10) you will need to configure them post install unfortunately.

    I wish I could say for sure. From what I've found searching the forums, etc., it sounds like MythTV in MythDora was not compiled with the "-dvb" options which are necessary (I think?) for EIT to work. All I know for sure is I've configured it and re-configured it and cannot get it working.
    We are build with dvb, and i've captured EIT data OTA myself previously. Unless something special needs to be done for EIT/cable, you should be fine.

    I have been using JSF on my /video partition and this seems to cure the problem.
    Or Xfs would likely be just as good for such a situation.

    Do note, that if you follow the standard storage locations (/var/lib/), samba and nfs get preconfigured for you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Beans
    183
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Mythbuntu Alpha 4 observations / requests

    SuperM1:
    Quote Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
    As far as I know, you will be able to use up to 4G RAM with the standard kernels.
    In "Hacking Ubuntu" by Neal Krawetz, in reference to the 4 gig memory limits of the 32 bit i686 family:

    "The second limitation comes from the linux 2.6 kernel used by Ubuntu's dapper drake. The kernel can only access 1gb of ram. Any remaining ram is unused."

    and

    "If you compile a kernel from scratch, there is a HIGHMEM flag that can be set to access up to 4GB of ram on a 32 bit architecture. Unfortunately there is a reported performance hit since most hardware drivers cannot access the high memory."


    So has the HIGHMEM flag been set on kernels after Dapper, and can Mythbuntu access it?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Beans
    2,983
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Mythbuntu Alpha 4 observations / requests

    Quote Originally Posted by Panhead Bill View Post
    SuperM1:


    In "Hacking Ubuntu" by Neal Krawetz, in reference to the 4 gig memory limits of the 32 bit i686 family:

    "The second limitation comes from the linux 2.6 kernel used by Ubuntu's dapper drake. The kernel can only access 1gb of ram. Any remaining ram is unused."

    and

    "If you compile a kernel from scratch, there is a HIGHMEM flag that can be set to access up to 4GB of ram on a 32 bit architecture. Unfortunately there is a reported performance hit since most hardware drivers cannot access the high memory."


    So has the HIGHMEM flag been set on kernels after Dapper, and can Mythbuntu access it?
    supermario@portablemario:~$ cat /boot/config-2.6.22-13-generic | grep HIGHMEM
    # CONFIG_DEBUG_HIGHMEM is not set
    CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
    # CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM is not set
    CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    Beans
    209
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mythbuntu Alpha 4 observations / requests

    My one issue, which has occured twice:

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=564670

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    9

    Re: Mythbuntu Alpha 4 observations / requests

    I have a request. Please make EIT an easy option to configure for American cable users. I have found no way to successfully do this in MythDora and have a feeling I'd have to recompile MythTV from source to get it working.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Beans
    2,983
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Mythbuntu Alpha 4 observations / requests

    Quote Originally Posted by jadfw007 View Post
    I have a request. Please make EIT an easy option to configure for American cable users. I have found no way to successfully do this in MythDora and have a feeling I'd have to recompile MythTV from source to get it working.
    What's wrong with the current EIT setup? Do you have a patch your referring to that needs to be applied to mythtv sources for EIT/cable to work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •