Thread: Connect to Wireless Systems

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Connect to Wireless Systems

We are spending the winter in our RV and occasionally move from one RV park to another. Normally when you register at the park, they give you the wireless password if there is one. We have been in three different RV parks this week and two of them would not let Ubuntu sign on. On these occasions my Windows 7 (dual boot with Ubuntu) and my phone were both able to get on the wireless system so I know I have the correct password. I have played with different settings for security with no luck. The setting for my phone is WEP (which is working). Any ideas for what to check next? I don't want to be stuck with Win 7 for the next month.

JC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Connect to Wireless Systems

Quote Originally Posted by JerryC View Post
    I don't want to be stuck with Win 7 for the next month.
    ...heh heh. That bad, huh?

Let's see... it's been so long since I've even looked at WEP that I'm not familiar with it anymore.

Here is a link to setting up a WEP interface using the command line. I've no idea if it works (it was written for 11.04) because I've no WEP router to test it on.

Before going there, have you tried going through Network Manager? On Ubuntu 12.04, creating a new wireless connection gives you the option under "Wireless security" to define either 40 bit or 128 bit WEP. Is this how you've tried connecting? If not, provide full step-by-step description of prior attempts. You may need to ask the RV park administration which level of WEP they use.

Re: Security

Just FYI, WEP is worse than useless because it gives the illusion of security while actually providing none. A script kiddy with an obsolete laptop can break WEP in a few minutes. In fact, there are downloadable apps that will do it for you with three clicks of a mouse. Even this is unnecessary because everyone on a wireless network shares the same encryption key anyway, which makes your WIFI link basically a node on a party line. The only proper way to really secure your connection is to tunnel back to a secure network and do all of your work through the tunnel. You can do this with either a VPN or SSH. SSH is "easier" but VPN is more versatile. There are numerous VPN providers who operate as subscription services. You can also tunnel back to your home if you set up a VPN server. This last requires more technical savvy, but saves money over the long term.

I don't even know why public hotspots bother with encryption other than to prevent people off the street from getting free access. Don't see why this would be an issue in an RV park, as most of them are so remote that the only people using it would be their clientele.

If interested, one of the best security primers I've ever read is on this very forum and located here.

Beans
    Distro

The campsite wifi network has no idea if your connecting with Ubu, windoze, a Mac or whatever. Sounds to me as if there is a problem with your Ubu network settings. Does Network Manager connect to other wifi locations OK?
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans
    Distro

DuckHook -

I tried doing the terminal thing suggested by the link. The first step was:

$ iwconfig
    You will see wireless adapter as wlan0 or ath0 which depends on what driver is installed
    I made the assumption ath0 was a typo and used eth0. The next instructions were:

Execute the following command to apply ESSID, network key, channel, and mode:
    $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid yantoknuk-singtel
    $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 channel 6
    $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 key ngumbahkucing
    $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode managed

When I tried the first one I got the following results:

jc@jc-Studio-1749:~$ sudo iwconfig eth0 essid palms-rptr1
    Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device eth0 ; Operation not supported.

Any ideas?

JC

Beans
    Distro

Mapes12 -

Yes, I have connected to 2 out of 4 wireless networks since we started this trip. Last summer's trip, I connected to all 10 or 12 networks. My guess is an update has messed with me but I don't remember seeing any updates having to do with wireless.

JC

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

We are also full time RVers and have connected to possibly 200 different RV wifi networks since 2009 using Ubuntu and then Lubuntu (some password protected and some open) without a problem. Mapes 12 is 100% correct. The RV Park wifi system doesn't care what OS you are using.
    Rex
    ASUS EeePC 1000h with Lubuntu 14.04
    Dell Inspiron 1000 with Bodhi Linux 2.4

Beans
    Distro

What wireless card are you using? There are a bunch of threads out there related to broadcom cards with connection problems. The broadcom drivers seem to have a problem with WAP2, so your problem may depend on what security the wirelsss network has been set up with which is why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

In my experience, broadcom drivers worked kinda ok in 10.04 and for me completely stopped working in 12.04. So if you upgraded your ubuntu you may have a driver that doesn't work right.

My workaround was to buy a 10$ buffalo nano USB wireless dongle:worked like a charm out of the box. Dlink dongle worked also but has a larger form factor. Other's I tried (e.g. trendnet) had the same symptom as my build-in wireless: saw the network but could not connect.
    Lutz