Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apps that should come installed with Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans

Apps that should come installed with Ubuntu

I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere but I am having trouble using the Forum Search.

In your opinion, what are some apps that are so good and/or so helpful that they should come installed with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Apps that should come installed with Ubuntu

A tweaking tool like myunity or ubuntu tweak.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by NobleYorkshire View Post
    I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere but I am having trouble using the Forum Search.

In your opinion, what are some apps that are so good and/or so helpful that they should come installed with Ubuntu?
    VLC player
    Chrome or Chromium (in addition to Firefox)
    Calibre (latest version with a script to update it from the upstream site rather than from the repository, since it changes very rapidly)
    WINE (with a friendly front-end like PlayOnLinux)
    GIMP

Beans

Out of the box support for all VPN types. Currently Ubuntu only has PPTP. I would like to see all the VPN types included.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Gimp.
    Audatious
    Vlc
    Monitor: LG flatron w1954s 22", mobo: G31-m7 series, CPU: Intel LGA 775 Intel core duo 2 2,66GHZ, RAM: 3GB, GPU: ATI Radeom HD 2400, Storage: 500GB SATA and 80GB IDE, Windows 7 ultimate and Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You all do realize that compressing an entire distribution onto a single CD requires making a lot of painful decisions, right? So if you are going to create a wishlist of packages to include, I challenge you to identify the packages that you think should be removed in their stead. The gimp and gimp-data packages total about 6 MB in size. What would you remove to get that 6 MB?
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Battle for Wesnoth. That game is seriously addictive! Also it would show Windows gamers that there are some excellent native Linux games, too. Gaming is one area where Linux has traditionally lagged behind Windows; I think Ubuntu needs to prove this is no longer the case.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    You all do realize that compressing an entire distribution onto a single CD requires making a lot of painful decisions, right? So if you are going to create a wishlist of packages to include, I challenge you to identify the packages that you think should be removed in their stead. The gimp and gimp-data packages total about 6 MB in size. What would you remove to get that 6 MB?
    I definitely understand what you are saying.

I was just trying to get a feel of what some fellow Ubuntu users thought were great apps that are at that level of usefulness/quality that they would recommend being installed on Ubuntu.

Sorry about the confusion and I definitely understand where you are coming from.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

The gimp and gimp-data packages total about 6 MB in size. What would you remove to get that 6 MB?
    Unity.

Seriously, I could probably come up with a ton of stuff that isn't as deserving as Gimp.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Considering the Ubuntu distro as it sits is no longer a standard CD size, 700mb, and is now 768MB, I think its safe to say we are not limited by space. I think everyone should be free to traverse ideas up to a full 4.7GB dvd.

Windows and OSX use a DVD size.

Have an Ubuntu full install on a dvd, and a minimal live cd, just like OpenSuse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast