Thread: External Harddrive

Hybrid View

Beans

External Harddrive

Hi everyone.

I have a Western Digital USB hard drive, about 1TB in size. Unfortunately, my partition table has become corrupted, and my hard drive is now seen in RAW format.

I haven't been able to restore the partition table, unfortunately. (I tried testdisk - didn't work). I have tried to recover files from the harddrive, but it takes much too long to scan a 1TB disk.

Anyway, I feel like the only option I have left is to format the harddrive and lose the data that is on it.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which filesystem I should use in order to prevent the HDD from losing its partition table again.

I am aware that the best way to prevent this from happening is to make sure I unmount the hard drive properly, but I was wondering if there was any filesystem that was less prone to this type of error.

Thanks!

-Steven

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: External Harddrive

This is not about which filesystem to use rather than what kind of "partition table".

I would suggest using a GPT rather than the old MS-DOS partition table.
    The great thing about GPT is that you have multiple copies of the partition table across your entire volume.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thermion View Post
    This is not about which filesystem to use rather than what kind of "partition table".

I would suggest using a GPT rather than the old MS-DOS partition table.
    The great thing about GPT is that you have multiple copies of the partition table across your entire volume.
    That sounds incredibly awesome and I wonder why anyone would use the old MS-DOS vs. GPT given what a horrible hassle it is to have a RAW HDD (you know your files are there but it is a huge pain to recover them).

I will read up on GPT and how to use it. Thank you very much.

Beans
    Distro

Well, there are some things to keep in mind:

Windows can only handle gpt drives since Vista x64. So any Windows OS older than that won't be able initialize the drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thermion View Post
    Well, there are some things to keep in mind:

Windows can only handle gpt drives since Vista x64. So any Windows OS older than that won't be able initialize the drive.
    I figured I would run into legacy issues of that nature, but I'm willing to put up with that if it means avoiding this again.

Beans
    Distro

It's not bullet proof or anything. It just adds some level of redundancy. To be 100% save, you would still have to backup you files to another volume.