Thread: Cannot login after mistyped password

Hybrid View

Beans

Cannot login after mistyped password

I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 with Xfce 4.10 and GDM. If I try to log in and get my password right, it logs me in just fine. If I accidentally mistype my password, I get "Authentication failure", which is expected. However, if I mistype my password and then go back and type my password in correctly, a green check mark appears next to my name in the login screen with the words "currently logged in", and it doesn't log me in. I have to restart my computer before I can log in.

Any help would be appreciated. Please let me know if you require more information.

Beans

Re: Cannot login after mistyped password

Anybody? This is still a persistent problem, and I would appreciate any insight anybody has. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question Re: Cannot login after mistyped password

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralagnus View Post
    If I accidentally mistype my password, I get "Authentication failure", which is expected. However, if I mistype my password and then go back and type my password in correctly, a green check mark appears next to my name in the login screen with the words "currently logged in", and it doesn't log me in.
    I just checked under regular Ubuntu 64-bit by typing the wrong password on purpose, which obviously resulted in "Authentication failure" message but after re-typing my password correctly afterwards it logged me in just fine.

So to narrow it down, could this obvious bug be a Xfce-specifical?
    Also, are you on 32 or 64-bit?
    Currently running Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal (64bit) installed on core i7 950/ 6GB/Geforce GTX 460 SOC 1GB system.

Beans

I suppose it could be XFCE-specific. I started with a minimal Ubuntu install and slowly built it up using XFCE, so it could be something unique to my setup. I'm using 64-bit.

Any thoughts or advice?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralagnus View Post
    I suppose it could be XFCE-specific. I started with a minimal Ubuntu install and slowly built it up using XFCE, so it could be something unique to my setup. I'm using 64-bit.

Any thoughts or advice?
    I run Lubuntu 12.04 non-pae on an old IBM Thinkpad. I have installed xubuntu-desktop into it. So I tried to log in to an XFCE-session by first typing a bad password, and then typing it correctly. It works for me, I get logged in (without reboot).

What log in screen are you using?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I run Lubuntu 12.04 non-pae on an old IBM Thinkpad. I have installed xubuntu-desktop into it. So I tried to log in to an XFCE-session by first typing a bad password, and then typing it correctly. It works for me, I get logged in (without reboot).
    Interesting. Any ideas what could be causing the problem on my end? I'm not sure where to look.

Beans

- What log in screen are you using?

- Can you log in to a text screen with this hotkey combination?

ctrl + alt + F3

[... F1 -- F6] gives you text screens and

ctrl + alt + F7 turns you back to the graphics screen.