Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Cannot login after mistyped password

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    45

    Cannot login after mistyped password

    I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 with Xfce 4.10 and GDM. If I try to log in and get my password right, it logs me in just fine. If I accidentally mistype my password, I get "Authentication failure", which is expected. However, if I mistype my password and then go back and type my password in correctly, a green check mark appears next to my name in the login screen with the words "currently logged in", and it doesn't log me in. I have to restart my computer before I can log in.

    Any help would be appreciated. Please let me know if you require more information.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    45

    Re: Cannot login after mistyped password

    Anybody? This is still a persistent problem, and I would appreciate any insight anybody has. Thanks in advance.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    88
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Question Re: Cannot login after mistyped password

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralagnus View Post
    If I accidentally mistype my password, I get "Authentication failure", which is expected. However, if I mistype my password and then go back and type my password in correctly, a green check mark appears next to my name in the login screen with the words "currently logged in", and it doesn't log me in.
    I just checked under regular Ubuntu 64-bit by typing the wrong password on purpose, which obviously resulted in "Authentication failure" message but after re-typing my password correctly afterwards it logged me in just fine.

    So to narrow it down, could this obvious bug be a Xfce-specifical?
    Also, are you on 32 or 64-bit?
    Currently running Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal (64bit) installed on core i7 950/ 6GB/Geforce GTX 460 SOC 1GB system.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    45

    Re: Cannot login after mistyped password

    I suppose it could be XFCE-specific. I started with a minimal Ubuntu install and slowly built it up using XFCE, so it could be something unique to my setup. I'm using 64-bit.

    Any thoughts or advice?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    7,200

    Re: Cannot login after mistyped password

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralagnus View Post
    I suppose it could be XFCE-specific. I started with a minimal Ubuntu install and slowly built it up using XFCE, so it could be something unique to my setup. I'm using 64-bit.

    Any thoughts or advice?
    I run Lubuntu 12.04 non-pae on an old IBM Thinkpad. I have installed xubuntu-desktop into it. So I tried to log in to an XFCE-session by first typing a bad password, and then typing it correctly. It works for me, I get logged in (without reboot).

    What log in screen are you using?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    45

    Re: Cannot login after mistyped password

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I run Lubuntu 12.04 non-pae on an old IBM Thinkpad. I have installed xubuntu-desktop into it. So I tried to log in to an XFCE-session by first typing a bad password, and then typing it correctly. It works for me, I get logged in (without reboot).
    Interesting. Any ideas what could be causing the problem on my end? I'm not sure where to look.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    7,200

    Re: Cannot login after mistyped password

    - What log in screen are you using?

    - Can you log in to a text screen with this hotkey combination?

    ctrl + alt + F3

    [... F1 -- F6] gives you text screens and

    ctrl + alt + F7 turns you back to the graphics screen.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •