Thread: iPod not showing in Vbox XP

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

iPod not showing in Vbox XP

Hi all

Hope someone can help with this problem.

I have an 80gb iPod Classic which I manage in iTunes on Windows XP in Virtualbox, complete with Guest Additions installed.

Last time I used it was last Sunday (13th) and it worked fine and I added some new music to the iPod.

I've gone to do the same tonight and instead of the iPod appearing in iTunes, it mounts on the host Xubuntu 12.04 and a Thunar window opens showing the iPod contents.

Back on the Virtual XP, USB is enabled including the iPod - see screenshot 1

but no devices appear - see screenshot 2 - whereas previously the iPod showed up as did my USB mouse (which is working fine in V'box)

I recall that the latter Devices menu was how I first added the iPod filter to my virtual XP - see screenshot 3

I've updated Virtualbox to 4.2.6 tonight but no change.

Unmounting it from the host doesn't do anything either.

So, any thoughts on how I get my iPod to show up again?

Over the years I've tried various Linux-only ways to manage my iPod but they've all messed up my iPod so I really like this virtual solution hence I would like to sort it, so no need for "use banshee/rhythmbox/others" suggestions

Many thanks
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Quad Core @ 3.6GHz, NVidia GT430, Asus M5A78L-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Western Digital Green 1TB SATA2 hard-drive

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: iPod not showing in Vbox XP

All sorted! Rebooted my PC this morning, opened Virtualbox and XP and iTunes, plugged in iPod and it duly appeared in iTunes and was able to add/delete some music & podcasts.

And USB devices correctly now showing - see attached screenshot.

Must have just been on of those mysterious glitches where one thing forgot how to talk to another thing (very technical eh) but a reboot re-introduces them to each other!

Cheers, have a great Sunday all.
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Quad Core @ 3.6GHz, NVidia GT430, Asus M5A78L-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Western Digital Green 1TB SATA2 hard-drive