Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best recomended light distro for my desktop

Hybrid View

Beans

Question Best recomended light distro for my desktop

I have an acer aspire m1100 desktop with ubuntu 12.04 that i recently installed. The coputer has as follows
    Amd sempron 3400 2ghz single core
    512mb of ram
    Ati radeon onboard graphics card
    250gb sata hard drive

I find ubuntu to have a massive struggle running. Sometimes firefox takes 5 minutes to open. Other programs fall flat on their face. So on and so forth. Im wondering if anyone can recomend the best user friendly and lightweight linux based os that is easy to install. And will run somewhat fast. Sadly i really like ubuntu so im looking for something similar. Ease of access is a big thing. Faster the better. I dont care if it looks like windows 3.1 as long as it can perform decently. Something i can customize and tweak. Backtrack seems like something exciting but may not run easily. So i thank everyone for their input before hand. I would like to speed this poor girl up a bit tonight

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Best recomended light distro for my desktop

Lubuntu

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    This.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Puppy (fast, a pre-schooler could install and configure it, but it also looks like it was made for pre-schoolers)

-or-

Lubuntu (fast, easy to use) <-- My first recommendation

-or-

Slitaz (installed to HDD) (faster, fairly usable)

-or-

Slackware 14.0 (ridiculously fast, needs love and sleepless nights to make it work)
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans

So. Now swapping ubuntu for lubuntu. Can i do it live or best to make an install disc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have a couple of ten year old machines that I have installed Lubuntu on before. One of them though did not like the graphical installer. It's an easy workaround though...install Ubuntu Server (without all the server related software...so a very quick install) and then: sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop . Reboot and Lubuntu.
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Beans

And also. Any recomendation on a program that can list off my hardware specs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Krashx22 View Post
    And also. Any recomendation on a program that can list off my hardware specs.
    For a nicely presented list of your specs displayed in Firefox, try:

Code:
    sudo lshw -html > ~/hardware_info.html && firefox ~/hardware_info.html
    Or you could try this in terminal: lspci
    (not as pretty).
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Beans

im going to try to do a full install for sure. id rather not have a frankenacer here. i did find that hardware detection then any windows program. so Lubuntu. are the games and apps and everything the same?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Krashx22 View Post
    So. Now swapping ubuntu for lubuntu. Can i do it live or best to make an install disc?
    You can install the Lubuntu DE unto your existing install... but it comes with many lighter alternatives to applications so if you want all the benefit I would suggest getting the ISO and installing it from scratch, but I am just lazy

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast