Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A-rated game 'Crusader Kings 2' released on Steam!

Hybrid View

Beans

A-rated game 'Crusader Kings 2' released on Steam!

I was wondering why there are no news on the release of this game here! Crusader Kings 2 got ported to Linux! Paradox'x Europe Universalis will follow! Who got it already?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: A-rated game 'Crusader Kings 2' released on Steam!

It turned out to be one of my favorite games of 2012, but I think people might overlook it because of the poor trailer or if they've never dipped their toes into grand strategy games before. The RPS review does a good job of explaining what the game is about.

Right now the linux version has a couple of problems : relatively frequent crashes (the devs responded they are looking into it), and none of my DLC is recognized yet (might be a steam beta bug).

Beans

I will purchase it next month probably! I own Sengoku which has, as far as I know, very similar game mechanics, just a bit more simple compared to CK2. I love most of the paradox games tho

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: A-rated game 'Crusader Kings 2' released on Steam!

I purchased it yesterday (2nd most I've ever paid for a game), and it is a wowser. I haven't yet found the reported bugs; the game seems to run fine. It will take SOME time to learn how to play, but it appears that the time put into this game will be well-rewarded. Finally, a major developer (besides Source) is supporting Linux on Steam. 2013 *may* just be The Year Of Linux Gaming.

Or it may not, in which case it will almost certainly be 2014.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As soon as I get rid of my OpenGL issues, I will buying some of their games to play. I'm getting hyped just thinking about it.

One of the games that caught my attention was CK2, actually.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As soon as it goes on sale I'll buy it...$39.99? Yeah, I'm a teacher, not a CEO.
    Linux Gamer.
    Steam: rudeboyskunk
    Desura: rudeboyskunk
    Add me as a friend. Kill zombies/aliens/nazis with me. ON LINUX.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    I purchased it yesterday (2nd most I've ever paid for a game), and it is a wowser. I haven't yet found the reported bugs; the game seems to run fine. It will take SOME time to learn how to play, but it appears that the time put into this game will be well-rewarded. Finally, a major developer (besides Source) is supporting Linux on Steam. 2013 *may* just be The Year Of Linux Gaming.

Or it may not, in which case it will almost certainly be 2014.
    So it runs fine on your PC? Which GPU do you have? AMD or Nvidia? I've had a bit of problems with my AMD6950 with FOSS drivers (proprietary is worse though). Once I got CK2 to run properly I had to turn of the water rendering, otherwise it was a slide show. (And it runs like a dream on my win7 partition..)

Debating trying do a GPU sidegrade to Nvidia, since they seem to be doing a better job with linux drivers.

And by the way this game is amazing. One of the few reasons I have to boot into windows. If CK2 and EU4 come to linux I doubt I will need it any more!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have a nVidia 525, which is their lowest-end DirectX11 card from last year. The main 3D map at the game's main screen is a trifle stuttery, but the game does seem to run. It'll take a couple (or fourple) of hours to get used to the game's very complex interface. FWIW, reviewers call this the most accessible Paradox game yet...

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ObiDamnKenobi View Post
    Once I got CK2 to run properly I had to turn of the water rendering, otherwise it was a slide show. (And it runs like a dream on my win7 partition..)
    How did you did that? How to turn off the water rendering?

I've the same problem that everyone else writes about - extremely low FPS rate!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by crypto178 View Post
    RPS review does a good job of explaining what the game is about.
    That is a rave review if I've ever seen one. Looks cool. I'll check it out.

Edit: Aw, crap. My computer just misses the specs for the game. I guess I have one more reason to upgrade. Maybe it will be on sale by then. Or, maybe I'll have a piston by then!!!
    Last edited by drawkcab; January 17th, 2013 at 03:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast