Thread: MythTV, Digital Cable Boxes and RF Blasters

Hybrid View

Beans

MythTV, Digital Cable Boxes and RF Blasters

I received an HD receiver from my CabCo (a Motorola DCX700) several weeks back and I have started to look at how to integrate it into my Myth TV setup before their analogue cable services are discontinued on January 1st 2013.

I'm running a Hauppage 250 on a single front/backend box.

The cabco told me the unit used IR and through a helpful suggestion of one of the forums users, I sourced a cheap IR Blaster. Quickly figured out after I unpacked the HD receiver that the box uses RF instead of IR

I've done a lot of googling and can't find anything that would allow my myth system to send RF signals to the HD receiver to change channels.

Any suggestions?

Beans

Re: MythTV, Digital Cable Boxes and RF Blasters

per the site specs on the Motorola it should have IR remote no mention of RF remote? in any event they do make adapters the hard part will be finding one that linux supports. http://www.motorola.com/Video-Soluti...s/DCX700_US-EN

Beans

Yeah, I saw that connector when I setup the box, but according to the cabco's tech support that port along with the USB and ethernet ports, are disabled.

I'll try it anyway I suppose and see what happens.

Tks

Beans

Turns out the IR port on the Motorola DCX700 is active. I found out how to access the Motorola's diag menu and it verifies that the port is indeed running => Press the Power button and then press OK twice to access the menu.

I have my H'pge 250's IR Receiver plugged into the back of the DC box (had to use a 2.5mm to 3.5 headphone adapter). The MyBlaster Serial device is plugged into com1 of the mythbox.

I downloaded MyBlaster serial scripts from sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/myblaster) and running the provided perl scripts lights up the MyBlaster Serial's IR Sender, but when I hold the IR blaster against the IR receiver and run either the channel changer or code checker scripts nothing happens on the DC box.

I noticed that when the IR blasters light comes on it remains steady. From what I've been able to find I gather it's supposed to flash to simulate the pulses that come from the RF remote.

I'm not sure where to go from here - any suggestions?

Beans

I think you are doint it wrong. The blaster plugs into your backend via USB. The blaster has a IR emitter that usually plugs in via an earphone like socket. The emitter sits in front of the IR reciver of the STB.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    I think you are doint it wrong. The blaster plugs into your backend via USB. The blaster has a IR emitter that usually plugs in via an earphone like socket. The emitter sits in front of the IR reciver of the STB.
    Hi

The blasters from IRBLASTER.Info come in a couple flavors - both USB and serial port. The blaster cable I bought has a serial connector on one end and the emitter on the other. The serial port version is easier to work with I was told so that was the one I purchased.

My DC box doesn't natively operate via IR. It uses an RF remote. But the IR headphone connector in the back does allow you to bypass the RF receiver and allow the box. At least that's how I understand it from http://www.irblaster.info/motorola_rx.html