Thread: BASH: How to process files listed in text file?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

BASH: How to process files listed in text file?

I have 2 directories with png files. One directory is called "OLD" and the other one is called "NEW". Some of the files in these directory need to be processed, but only the ones that have been updated. For this I tried "diff --brief -r" combined with cat, grep and sed, this way I managed to get a list (outputed to a txt file) of the files that needs to be processed.

I also have successfully written the processing chain (this by entering the file-names manually).

How ever, I want this to be automated, so I need help so that the script processes the files that are mentioned in the TXT file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: BASH: How to process files listed in text file?

Code:
    while read -r f
    do
      something with "$f"
    done < file
    or skipping the file stage entirely

Code:
    while read -r f
    do
      something with "$f"
    done < <( cmd1 | cmd2 | cmd3 )
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm not quite sure how to implement this though.

Where in the code do I input the text file?
    I guess the "proccessing code" should be where you wrote "something with "$f"" where the variable f is the information of each file mentioned in the txt file, correct?

Not sure what the "< file" or "< <( cmd1 | cmd2 | cmd3 )" is for after done. Does it suggest I do the diff grep sed thingie there, like after the loop? Then how will the loop know what files should be processed?

Please elaborate some on what this does so I get a better chance of understanding.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thumbs up Re: BASH: How to process files listed in text file?

If the list is in a text file with one entry per line, I use this:

Code:
    FILES=$(cat /path/to/the/file)

for f in $FILES
    do
        stuff
    done
    Now for some caveats.

First, do the files in the list contain complete paths or just filenames? If the latter then you need to run the script from the directory in which the files are located, or have the script set the directory itself.

[Critics - please don't bother to complain about using "cat".]
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

after testing Vaphell's suggestion and inserting the text file after the "done <" stage, that part of the script seemed to work.

How ever, It seemed to have created a new problem with the processing code(which worked before) that I hope someone can help me with.

Code:
    composite NEW/$f -blend 50x50 OLD/$f TEMP/$f.01.png
    convert TEMP/$f.01.png -background "#808080" -flatten +matte \
    -channel rgba -alpha set -fuzz 1% -fill none -opaque "#7f7f7f" \
    -channel rgba -alpha set -fuzz 60% -fill black -opaque "#808080" \
    -background "#ffffff" -flatten +matte \
    -channel rgba -alpha set -fuzz 1% -fill none -opaque "#000000" TEMP/$f.02.png
    composite -compose dst-out TEMP/$f.02.png NEW/$f -matte DIFF/$f
    Which results in a bunch of errors.

Code:
    convert: unable to open image `TEMP/armor/cloth_1.png.01.png':  @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2587.
    convert: unable to open file `TEMP/armor/cloth_1.png.01.png' @ error/png.c/ReadPNGImage/3238.
    convert: missing an image filename `TEMP/armor/cloth_1.png.02.png' @ error/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/3011.
    composite: unable to open image `TEMP/armor/cloth_1.png.02.png':  @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2587.
    composite: unable to open file `TEMP/armor/cloth_1.png.02.png' @ error/png.c/ReadPNGImage/3238.
    composite: missing an image filename `DIFF/armor/cloth_1.png' @ error/composite.c/CompositeImageCommand/1616.
    I'm fairly confident it has something to do with the pathways, My guess is that imagemagick does not create the directories for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Valpskott View Post
    I'm fairly confident it has something to do with the pathways, My guess is that imagemagick does not create the directories for me.
    No, it doesn't. You need to create them all in advance, or add lines to the script to do it for you before converting the files.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users