Thread: Trouble dualbooting Windows 7 and Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans

Trouble dualbooting Windows 7 and Ubuntu

I'm trying to set up a dual boot between Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I'm also looking to have windows bootloader as my primary one, and for it to let me select if I want to start W7 or Ubuntu when I power up my pc.

I downloaded version 12.04 LTS from the Ubuntu website, and burned it to a DVD as pr the instructions on the site. The installation process worked fine but in the end when the computer was going to reboot in order to finish the installation process it got stuck on a screen with the following text:

* Checking battery state [OK]
    * Stopping System V runlevel compatibility [OK]
    acpid: exiting
    Checking for running unattended upgrades:
    speech- dispatcher disabled;
    edit/etc/delfault/speech dispatcher
    *Asking all remaining processes to terminate [OK]

I had to kill the power in the end. After restarting the computer went straight into Windows. I then went into BIOS and set Ubuntu as my primary boot, rebooted and got the following message: unknown file sytem, grub rescue.

Any advice?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Trouble dualbooting Windows 7 and Ubuntu

I am not aware of any way of making the windows bootloader offer you any OS to boot other than a Microsoft product. It refuses to recognise anything other than windows. Microsoft user friendliness...

If you want to dual boot Windows with a Linux system, you will have to use Grub (the standard bootloader in Ubuntu and several other Linux distributions) or Lilo or one of the other boot loaders available for Linux. I don't see any reason for using anything other than grub, myself.

As far as fixing your boot goes, look here.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

The repair function might well get you going. Failing that, follow the instructions regarding the boot info and post the link to it here so we can see what state the system is in.
    Michael

Beans

I ran the boot-repair, but it terminated saying "You have installed on sda 8 a Linux version which is not EFI-compatible, and is probably not compatible with your computer....."

From what I've googled, this has something to do with booting, but I'm pretty new to Linux in general so would anyone mind explaining what this actually means?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by sheherezade View Post
    .. a Linux version which is not EFI-compatible, and is probably not compatible with your computer....

Ahh. I'll leave you with this link
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensi...ware_Interface

to read a bit about EFI. I believe that 12.10 is EFI compatible, and that the next 12.04 iso, I think 12.04.03, is planned to be. I haven't, however, really looked into all of that, so I wont try and give any advice. I am sure someone will come along who has more experience with the matter.
    Michael

Beans

I changed to Ubuntu 12.10 which works fine, but I'm still not able to dual boot with windows. I have what I assume is the Ubuntu boot manager on screen. Choosing Ubuntu works fine, but when I chose the Windows loader I get an error message so I have to go into BIOS and change the boot order from there in order to revert back to Windows again.

I had a look at this tutorial: http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/10/...antal-quetzal/ which says to select "Something Else" during the installation process. I selected delete Ubuntu 12.04LTS and replace with 12.10. Could this be the reason for the trouble?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Could you please elaborate on the options you chose during install? You said you chose 'do something else' but what exactly did you select? In particular: did you maake ant choices as to where to install the Ubuntu boot loader (GRUB)?

I dual boot my work laptop, but I prefer the GRUB bootloader, as it recongnizes all windows versions as well as all linux versions automatically.
    I'm thinking about it