Thread: Boot stops at black screen, will not load

Hybrid View

Beans

Boot stops at black screen, will not load

I cannot boot my Ubuntu desktop. When I start it up, I see some of the regular boot screens, but then it stops at the following screen:

I can type, but whatever I type seems to have no effect. Restarting doesn't help.

As you can see, it's on a VM. I'm using 12.10 64 bit. Host OS is Windows 7 Home, 64 bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Boot stops at black screen, will not load

I'm not familiar with with VMware Player, but their website says support for 12.10 wasn't added until 5.0.1, released just a few days ago. Is that the version you're using?

If you can't get VMware Player to work, you might try VirtualBox. I've seen more discussions on UbuntuForums about that.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    I'm not familiar with with VMware Player, but their website says support for 12.10 wasn't added until 5.0.1, released just a few days ago. Is that the version you're using?
    Yes, I am using 5.0.1. I should note that this is not a new install. I've been using it for a little while now, and aside from some slowness it's been working fine. But for some reason, when I started it today, it refuses to boot normally.

I'll understand if this might simply be an issue with VMware. I know VMs aren't perfect, but if this can be fixed with the software I'm using, I'd much prefer that than to switch.

Edit: I'm assuming this is a problem with Ubuntu itself, and not the VM. But if it is the latter, I'll take this to their support forums instead.
    Last edited by Kestreln8144; November 15th, 2012 at 12:59 PM.

Beans

For some inexplicable reason, I just tried booting it again, and it worked. I have no idea why it worked this time, since I didn't change any settings or do anything else that would make a difference, except booting another, different VM before trying again.

*shrug*

I guess I'll mark this as solved. Thank you for your attention, nonetheless.