Thread: Ubuntu dual boot installation on HP pavilion dv7.

Hybrid View

Beans

Ubuntu dual boot installation on HP pavilion dv7.Need help!!

I installed ubuntu in dualboot with windows7.

Look at last post.

Not sure if I'm in the correct section so sorry if i am!
    Using the wubi program.

In first boot to ubuntu anything works perfect.
    But as soon as i restart my computer the ubuntu blocks.
    At its purple startup screen. It shows nothing.

Only thing i can do then is start windows 7 again reinstall ubuntu in wubi.
    Then it runs again but as soon as i restart, it has the same problem.

What can i do about this problem cuz it really gets annoying using ubuntu that way.

Thanks in advance, greetings InQontroll.
    Last edited by InQontroll; November 15th, 2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Really need help read last post.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu dual boot installation on HP pavilion dv7.

Boot with nomodeset: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

There are some wubi specific steps in post #8 of that thread for the 'first boot' when installing Wubi - after that see the first post (even though it says not for wubi).

Also, until you install a closed source graphics driver you need to keep overriding with nomodeset. To do this, you need to edit the grub menu and it doesn't show by default on Wubi installs, so press the SHIFT key after selecting Ubuntu (this only applies after the first boot i.e. after installing).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Boot with nomodeset: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

There are some wubi specific steps in post #8 of that thread for the 'first boot' when installing Wubi - after that see the first post (even though it says not for wubi).

Also, until you install a closed source graphics driver you need to keep overriding with nomodeset. To do this, you need to edit the grub menu and it doesn't show by default on Wubi installs, so press the SHIFT key after selecting Ubuntu (this only applies after the first boot i.e. after installing).
    Thank you vm! I was really waiting on the forums untill someone replied to that!
    thnx and damn hell linux is way better then windows sorry for the curses

Beans

Well actually it didnt work.
    Tried all the things they told me at that thread.

I guess i'm cuiting wubi and about to use a liveusb or cd.

Thing is if i install it using one of those will it be able to save my files then?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Installling from an Ubuntu USB/CD is different from running a live environment from the USB/CD. When you boot from the Ubuntu USB you can select "Try Ubuntu" (the live environment). In this case there is some option to persist settings and data only with the USB (not the CD), and only if you've created a persistence file.

But if you install from the Ubuntu USB/CD then it will repartition your drive, install the grub bootloader, and then all your changes will be saved.

I should point out that your problems may not be related to Wubi, so installing a normal dual boot, may not work differently. But it's difficult to say for sure since we don't know what your problem is yet.

When you install the first time (with Wubi) how are you doing it? (From cd, standalone wubi.exe etc.)? When it boots the first time do you get to login and use it, run updates, make changes - or does it just complete the install and reboot? Can you run the bootinfoscript and post the results after installing? Also, post or search on your full machines specs (model, gpu etc.) to see if there are any known issues.

It is better to do a normal dual boot than Wubi (so I'm not suggesting otherwise) - just stating that there might still be problems with the normal dual boot. Also, if you do that, it's a good idea to refresh databackups before hand, and create a windows repair disk - it's not generally required, but I always make sure I have a working repair disk before it's needed.

Beans

Two important points ...

First, if Ubuntu fails to run after a Wubi install, it is unlikely that it will then run after installing in its own partition. Wubi is only an INSTALLATION METHOD, not a different version of Ubuntu. What you end up running is the same thing -- whether or not it is its own partition.

Also, the hardware is the same, regardless of the installation method. IF Ubuntu can't see your video device after a Wubi installation, that will be the same problem after a different installation.

Best approach is to boot from a LiveCD and find out what is needed to get Ubuntu to run on your PC without problems. Any changes you make for that are going to have to be repeated when you do the install.

Second, do NOT use the Ubuntu installer to shrink down your Win7 setup using the Slider. That can corrupt the Win7 OS and render it unbootable.

If you really want to press ahead with dual-booting with Win7, then read the details below ...

You need to see the disk partitions when you boot into Win7 and use the Disk Management utility. Count the partitions you see. IF there are already four of them, that is the maximum allowed. IF you FORCE the creation of another, not only will that automatically convert the Basic Volumes into Dynamic Disks (something you do NOT want to do), it will then PREVENT the installation of Linux.

If you decide to continue on with dual-boot, then use ONLY the Win7 Disk Management utility to shrink the Win7 OS partition to make room on the drive. Win7 is very finicky about its OS partition being messed with from "outside" with other tools -- like GParted. While it may be OK, it's more likely to result in filesystem corruption, which will then render Win7 unbootable.

And, after you create some free space, do NOT format it using the Win7 Disk Management utility; leave it as free space.

Then BEFORE you install Ubuntu, use the Win7 Backup feature to create and burn a Win7 Repair CD. You might need this later if the dual-boot install corrupts the Win7 boot loader.

When you then install Ubuntu, use the "Something Else" option to allow Manual Partitioning.
    Mint 15 & 16; MS Win7 & Win8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.