Thread: constant error message /usr/bin/jockey-text

Hybrid View

Beans

constant error message /usr/bin/jockey-text

I am in the process of installing mythbuntu 12.10 on a spare PC. I have it installed and am going through the setup process.

I keep getting an error message that references /usr/bin/jockey-text and asks if I want to send a report about it. It comes up every few minutes and is seriously irritating as it overlays whatever I am working on and I have to take time out to cancel it or resend the report (requires password). I have googled and searched here but not much turned up.

Anyone help out?

Thnx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: constant error message /usr/bin/jockey-text

Well, Ubuntu experienced an error and is trying to tell you about it. If you opt to report, you will get more details about the error. As you may imagine, there are a lot of possible errors, and without more details it will be difficult to help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    Well, Ubuntu experienced an error and is trying to tell you about it. If you opt to report, you will get more details about the error. As you may imagine, there are a lot of possible errors, and without more details it will be difficult to help.
    Thanks for the prompt reply. Unfortunately this is all the info I get. I just wondered if anyone else had come across this problem. Of course, just to be perverse - it has stopped coming up. If it does again, I'll see what else I can glean.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The error may be totally harmless. Find out if you experience any problems aft the error message comes up. I also had such an annoying error message, telling me that my GPU hung. However, I didn't experience any problems and the GPU worked normal. I ended up disabling the crash report completely by editing /etc/default/apport and changing the line that says enabled=1 to enabled=0. This disables Apport and no more error messages are raised.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arjay1 View Post
    I am in the process of installing mythbuntu 12.10 on a spare PC.
    No you aren't because there is no mythbuntu for 12.10.

http://www.mythbuntu.org/12.10/release

At best you are installing the minimal CD and then mythbuntu-desktop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    No you aren't because there is no mythbuntu for 12.10.

http://www.mythbuntu.org/12.10/release

At best you are installing the minimal CD and then mythbuntu-desktop.
    I stand corrected - my bad. It was Mythbuntu 12.04 of course from the same page you have posted. Is this a substantial issue that affects my problem, or are you just being pedantic?

Beans

I stand corrected - my bad. It was Mythbuntu 12.04 of course from the same page you have posted. Is this a substantial issue that affects my problem, or are you just being pedantic?
    Perhaps pedantry, but it's hard to help someone who gives the wrong info Computers are pedantic!

jockey is the system that loads restricted drivers (ie closed source drivers like nvidia's propprietary drivers). Beyond telling you that, without the exact (pedantic?) error message it's hard to say.

If you send the report, does it stop?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    jockey is the system that loads restricted drivers (ie closed source drivers like nvidia's proprietary drivers).
    JFYI - this jockey error message started when the default (nouveau??) driver was running immediately after first install.

It carried on intermittently after I installed the nvidia drivers using the "install additional drivers" via the menu. This never worked either - possibly because nouveau never got blacklisted properly. Finally I uninstalled all those drivers and used sgfxi to reinstall the nvidia ones. Since then no further messages.

I then got so irritated with the limitations of the xfce desktop (pathetic file manager for starters) and loads of missing stuff I need that I installed KDE and now I have a proper desktop, Dolphin etc etc and am a happy bunny....

Beans

JFYI - this jockey error message started when the default (nouveau??) driver was running immediately after first install.

It carried on intermittently after I installed the nvidia drivers using the "install additional drivers" via the menu. This never worked either - possibly because nouveau never got blacklisted properly. Finally I uninstalled all those drivers and used sgfxi to reinstall the nvidia ones. Since then no further messages.

I then got so irritated with the limitations of the xfce desktop (pathetic file manager for starters) and loads of missing stuff I need that I installed KDE and now I have a proper desktop, Dolphin etc etc and am a happy bunny....
    And why would you want those things on a mythtv machine?