Thread: Downlowding Maverick with a firewall in the distribution package?

Hybrid View

Beans

Downlowding Maverick with a firewall in the distribution package?

Greetings,

I am currently using a wireless connection that is surely exposed to hackers. I have complained about it on this forum before.

My Windows network drivers are shot and in spite of downloading and re-installing then several times, I still can´t access the network. No answers from Lenovo or Microsoft yet.

I have created a boot USB drive with UBUNTU on it. However, in spite of changing the ubuntu and root passwords, and installing gufw the firewall, I still have to re-install twice a week.

The problem is that I am missing a security step or I am getting hacked while I download and install gufw...

Where can i download a version of Ubuntu 10.4 Maverick with gufw in the distribution disk? I have not downloaded the newest versions of Ubuntu because I can´t access xterm and stuff. Hidden

Your help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Downlowding Maverick with a firewall in the distribution package?

If your wireless connection is exposed to hackers, changing ANYTHING on your computer is not going to work. You first need to activate the firewall on your wireless router and implement WPA-PSK (a.k.a. WPA2) encryption on all communication with the router. If this breaks some of your toys because they can't be coerced to send a passkey to the router to connect, that is the price of security. You can either be secure, or you can be open, being both isn't possible. If your router is not under your control, my sympathy, but no solution. If your router doesn't have a firewall or capability to support modern wireless encryption, replace it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cwsnyder View Post
    If your wireless connection is exposed to hackers, changing ANYTHING on your computer is not going to work. You first need to activate the firewall on your wireless router and implement WPA-PSK (a.k.a. WPA2) encryption on all communication with the router. If this breaks some of your toys because they can't be coerced to send a passkey to the router to connect, that is the price of security. You can either be secure, or you can be open, being both isn't possible. If your router is not under your control, my sympathy, but no solution. If your router doesn't have a firewall or capability to support modern wireless encryption, replace it.
    Greetings,

No. The router is not under my control. And even if I had a crack at configuring it, I might break the owner´s toys...

So, I am trying to pick up the wireless signal from the owner´s router with a router of my own, which would be under my control.

I would configure it for WPA2 encryption and publish the signal from a non published SSID whose name only I would know.

Would that work?

Thank you for the response.

Jean-Pierre

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ubuntu has UFW installed by default, what is wrong with that?

Define what you mean by "you are getting hacked"
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    Ubuntu has UFW installed by default, what is wrong with that?

Define what you mean by "you are getting hacked"
    Greetings,

Ok, I will look for UFW. It might not be enabled. And if it is, it is useless. They still get through.

Hacked, well, my list is huge:

- People write me emails and if I get them, they disappear from my
    inbox before I can read them. So I write again, and people respond with
    timestamped copies of the originals they sent me. Sometimes rather upset. Changing my passwords doesn´t change it.
    - My passwords to sites like Ubuntu, Microsoft, Lenovo, HP don´t work
    more than once. I set them to the same thing and they reset themselves
    I have to request new ones almost every time.
    - My sessions freeze continuously.
    - I loose functionality on the OS, like all of a sudden I can no longer
    use the track pad, but the mouse works.
    - I suddenly no longer can connect to the network.
    - I open my mail and all of a sudden messages I did not click on
    are opened.
    - Web pages I did not ask for open. When I click on a page I want another
    appears.
    - Suddenly web pages loose funcionality. Buttons are greyed out or no
    longer there.
    - I type x and I get y. The text, size, colour and font of
    messages I write changes spontaneously...

and I have tons of other complaints... Just no time now.

The point is that if I re-install the OS, everything works again, at least for a while. So, are Windows and Ubuntu self destructing OSs? I doubt it. But I never had these problems with HP-UX, IBM-AIX or SUN Solaris.

Regards,

Jean-Pierer

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think you would be better off getting your own Internet connection. Connecting to someone else's WiFi, you will always be subject to keylogging, packet sniffing, and other problems from their connection. That is the reason why it is recommended that you don't use public WiFi connections for anything secure.

Unfortunately, anything you do on your end can't secure what is open between you and the Internet.