Thread: Syncing Truecrypt

Hybrid View

Beans

Syncing Truecrypt

Hey guys,

Is it possible to have a Truecrypt container that resides inside the Ubuntu One directory?

When I mount and make changes to the container, adding and deleting files and whatnot, will they try and sync while the container is mounted, or will it only sync after I dismount the container?

Cheers,
    P.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Syncing Truecrypt

I'd like to know more about this too. Certainly, you'd want to make sure that you've set Truecrypt to modify the time/date stamp of the volume--which is not the default setting. I personally had plenty of trouble with this in the past, so what I've been doing is leaving my TC volumes in a non-synchronized folder, and just copying them into my normal folder from time to time. Though I only remember to do so about once a week.
    - Pangolin 12.04 on 2012 ZaReason, 460GB HD, 4 GB RAM, 3 GHz dual processor -
    - Maverick Meerkat & Windows XP on 2006 Gateway, 186GB HD, 1GB RAM, 2.1GHz processor -
    - Lucid Lynx on 2003 Sony Vaio laptop, 30GB HD, 1GB RAM, 1.8GHz processor -

Beans
    Distro

Yes it works just fine.

I keep a couple of TC container files in a directory that is then added to Ubuntu One to keep in sync.

I have TC set with the default "Preserve modification timestamp of file containers" option set on - so that date never changes.

If I mount a container and don't make any changes to the contents - Ubuntu One does nothing.

If I mount a container and do make changes to the contents, when the container is finally dismounted in TC, Ubuntu One immediately uploads the changed container file.

I'm not sure how Ubuntu One does it, but it is clearly not working by using the Modified or Accessed dates. Maybe it keeps a hash signature of each of the synced files??

However it works, it keeps my containers in sync between 3 machines. (Although I would not suggest ever mounting the same container on more than one machine at a time - I suspect that would cause version conflicts in U1).

edit to add:
    OK looking at the U1 logs in ~/.cache/ubuntuone/log/syncdaemon.log it is clear that U1 traps the file close event when the TC container file is closed. It then generates a hash value for the file and compares it to the one stored on U1. If the hashes are now different it uploads the file (and presumably the new hash) and also updates something called the "current generation" which is an integer it seems to increment by 1 -- I presume that is synonymous with a version number.
    Last edited by cryptotheslow; November 13th, 2012 at 06:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Excellent. That really does work. Thanks, Crypto!
    - Pangolin 12.04 on 2012 ZaReason, 460GB HD, 4 GB RAM, 3 GHz dual processor -
    - Maverick Meerkat & Windows XP on 2006 Gateway, 186GB HD, 1GB RAM, 2.1GHz processor -
    - Lucid Lynx on 2003 Sony Vaio laptop, 30GB HD, 1GB RAM, 1.8GHz processor -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by cryptotheslow View Post
    Yes it works just fine.

If I mount a container and do make changes to the contents, when the container is finally dismounted in TC, Ubuntu One immediately uploads the changed container file.
    Hi, Does Ubuntu ONE upload the WHOLE container or only the changed parts (like drop Box)?

Cheers
    JD