Thread: poor playback quality with *.webm

Hybrid View

Beans

poor playback quality with *.webm

I am experimenting with *.webm videos. I've created several *.webm videos using different bit rates and in all cases the playback quality in MythTV FE is poor - highly pixelated. However, when viewing the same videos using VLC player, these videos appear much better (some slight/occasional digital artifacts are apparent but not enough to ruin the viewing experience).

I'll admit that my settings to create *.webm are not yet optimized using avconv, but again, VLC plays the videos I've created just fine.

Why does the playback quality of *.webm depend on the player?
    Why are there noticeable differences among players?
    Why is MythTV's player so different?

Beans

Re: poor playback quality with *.webm

Quote Originally Posted by nhtrader View Post
    I am experimenting with *.webm videos. I've created several *.webm videos using different bit rates and in all cases the playback quality in MythTV FE is poor - highly pixelated. However, when viewing the same videos using VLC player, these videos appear much better (some slight/occasional digital artifacts are apparent but not enough to ruin the viewing experience).

I'll admit that my settings to create *.webm are not yet optimized using avconv, but again, VLC plays the videos I've created just fine.

Why does the playback quality of *.webm depend on the player?
    Why are there noticeable differences among players?
    Why is MythTV's player so different?
    To get the Internal player improved you need to create a ticket in trac and make a sample of the offending video available to the developers.

EDIT: http://code.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/TicketHowTo

As to the difference between players, well I am not familiar with the code, but you can of course look for yourself
    Last edited by nickrout; October 14th, 2012 at 08:06 PM.