Thread: K55DR anyone?

Hybrid View

Beans

Question K55DR anyone?

Hi,

I was interested in buying an Asus K55DR-SX0A8 which is going for a very low price at local Yodobashi.
    Of course, MS being what they are, Win 7 is only in Japanese, with no way to switch language unless I pay some upgrade - something I don't want to do.

I'm already familiar with Ubuntu, having used older versions on a desktop PC. But here, we're talking about a laptop, and they are always trickier.

Has anyone had any successful experience installing Ubuntu on this laptop?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Higure; October 3rd, 2012 at 03:57 PM.

Beans

Re: K55DR anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Higure View Post
    Hi,

I was interested in buying an Asus K55DR-SX0A8 which is going for a very low price at local Yodobashi.
    Of course, MS being what they are, Win 7 is only in Japanese, with no way to switch language unless I pay some upgrade - something I don't want to do.

I'm already familiar with Ubuntu, having used older versions on a desktop PC. But here, we're talking about a laptop, and they are always trickier.

Has anyone had any successful experience installing Ubuntu on this laptop?

Thanks!
    Hi I have an asus k50c and successfuly installed Ubuntu 12.04 on it and as my laptop is a bit older than yours i think u won't have any problems with it , the only problem that i had was the resolution but i fixed with a good configuration and it works great .

Beans

Hi, I am using the same type of yours. I have test using Ubuntu 12.10 without any problem yet.

Beans

do you use grub-pc or grub-uefy boot loader on this notebook? I have problem with uefi boot-loader - linux-kernel doesn't boot with this grub-uefi 2.0 (Ubuntu 12.10)