Thread: Ratel Performance GPU questions

Hybrid View

Beans

Ratel Performance GPU questions

I'm getting close to buying a Ratel Performance, configured like this:

Intel Core i7 3770 (3.40GHz - 4 cores with hyper-threading, HD Graphics 4000)
    16 GB RAM
    Dedicated GPU: 1 GB nVidia GeForce GT 630
    Hard drive: SSD

Intended usage: mainly for writing, web surfing, email, etc., some graphics (GIMP) and occasionally ripping CDs or other intense use (but probably just short periods of intense use). This would be my main desktop machine. Ubuntu 12.04 only.

Questions: Will a dedicated GPU make much difference with the Ratel configured this way? (SSD, fast processor, HD Graphics 4000.) Will there be noticeably better rendering - or are there some advantage(s), other than cost, in getting just the integrated graphics and skipping the GT 630?

Would the dedicated graphics card make the machine run hotter or cooler? - or doesn't this affect the temperature very much?

And speaking of heat... Does the Ratel tend to run hot, cool, or just average temps? Does it have a noisy fan?

I'm hoping to save some money, and have more SPACE in my work area, by going with the little Ratel P. - but maybe this is a bad idea, and the Wild Dog P. would be a better choice, despite the extra cost and the large size. What do you think?? Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ratel Performance GPU questions

Quote Originally Posted by penpoints View Post
    Questions: Will a dedicated GPU make much difference with the Ratel configured this way? (SSD, fast processor, HD Graphics 4000.) Will there be noticeably better rendering - or are there some advantage(s), other than cost, in getting just the integrated graphics and skipping the GT 630?
    Dedicated cards are good for 3D, but for everything else, the HD 4000 is better.

Would the dedicated graphics card make the machine run hotter or cooler? - or doesn't this affect the temperature very much?
    Technically, it would run hotter. But we haven't seen this to make a significant difference.

And speaking of heat... Does the Ratel tend to run hot, cool, or just average temps? Does it have a noisy fan?
    The temps stay pretty normal (not exceptionally cool, but certainly not hot. The fans are nearly silent except under high load.

I'm hoping to save some money, and have more SPACE in my work area, by going with the little Ratel P. - but maybe this is a bad idea, and the Wild Dog P. would be a better choice, despite the extra cost and the large size. What do you think?? Any advice would be highly appreciated!
    I think a Ratel would suit you fine.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!