Thread: Asus UX32A Zenbook 12.04 install somewhat successful gfx issues

Hybrid View

Beans

Asus UX32A Zenbook 12.04 install somewhat successful gfx issues

I'm not new to Ubuntu, but my last HP laptop just kind of worked out of the box when I put Ubuntu on it.

I recently bought the Zenbook, and while I love the size, look, feel, everything, I've just spent about 12 hours actually getting ubuntu loaded.

If anyone wants a breakdown of how to get ubuntu on the machine as a sole boot, using the SSD as the "/" folder, and the HDD as the "/home" I can write that up tomorrow.

For now, I was wondering if someone can help me with trouble shooting my graphics problem.
    To get past a black screen on boot, I was forced to add "nomodeset" into one of grubs line as suggested elsewhere in this forum. Unfortunately I think what that has done is force me to use some fairly basic drivers, and I can therefore not get Ubuntu to run in 3d mode, it's forced into 2D.

I'm not sure what information everyone needs, so please just ask and I'll post it up as soon as I can.

Thanks

Beans

Re: Asus UX32A Zenbook 12.04 install somewhat successful gfx issues

I installed the PPA and updated.

First reboot hung at boot.

On reboot it wanted to go into recovery mode, recovery mode worked, but was in 2d, and the screen brightness functions still didn't work.

Rebooting through recovery mode, but once it's recovered doing the switch to full mode throws the warning that "Graphics drivers may need to be reloaded." it loaded into full mode, but was in 2d. I did have access to a list of drivers that are new though in the "Additional Drivers" icon.

Upon logging out, I went back to a black screen but had the sound that you get when you see the login screen. So it's not hanging, it's just not displaying.

Any other ideas?

Beans

More information:

Rebooting and getting into the older versions of the kernel in grub. (nomodeset has been removed)

3.5.0-15 generic : Hangs in a black screen with the text like the picture above. Not always the same text though.. it seems to get to different places every time.

There is a line:
    Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempting to kill the idle task!
    panic occurred, switching back to text console

3.2.0-31 generic: boots to login screen, (I can hear the login "blooop" but the screen is black.)

3.2.0-30 generic: boots to login screen, (I can hear the login "blooop" but the screen is black)

3.2.0-29 generic: boots to login screen, (I can hear the login "blooop" but the screen is black)

Getting into the grub editor with the "e" key at the grub menu, and changing the end of the appropriate line to nomodeset allows ubuntu to boot properly.

Drivers listed in additional drivers now:

mac_hid
    LPC interface for Intel ICH
    Intel Wireless WiFi Link AGN driver for Linux
    Realtek RTS5139/29 USB card reader driver
    Intel Core temperature monitor
    I801 SMBus driver (This driver is not activated)
    Intel Management Engine Interface
    Intel HDA driver
    Asus Notebooks WMI Hotkey Driver
    PC Speaker beeper driver (This driver is not activated)
    kvm_intel
    Intel Graphics
    USB Video Class driver

Any more ideas/troubleshooting?

Edit: Should report that since the first install that I manged to get booted in completely all function keys work as advertised except monitor brightness.

Sleep (f1) - works (but is unrecoverable after it shows a logout screen then the screen goes blank)
    wifi (f2) - works
    keyboard brightness up/down (f3/F4) - works
    brightness (f5/f6) - no function at all
    screen off (f7) - works, and turns the screen back on with the second push
    monitor switch (f8) - untested
    touchpad disable (f9) - works
    sound up/down/mute (f10,f11,f12) - work

Function (A) - Autobrightness - no work
    Function (C) - Unknown, no function
    Function (V) - Unknown, no function.
    Function Del - insert (works)
    Function Up, Down, Left, Right - Pg-up, home, pg-down, end (work)
    Last edited by infernozx; September 21st, 2012 at 05:14 PM.

Beans

Last edited by infernozx; September 22nd, 2012 at 06:59 PM.

Beans

Update:

I managed to get ubuntu to boot, on all the kernels present by changing the "nomodeset" command to "acpi_osi=windows"

This made the suspend function work flawlessly, it also allowed me to use 3D mode, and have the extra driver support. There's a couple of odds and ends to fix up.

The big problem that's pretty unacceptable though is that it won't boot on the first try.

You have to let it boot and fail, then when it reboots it will send you to the Grub menu, once in the menu, you HAVE to press "e" then f10 to boot. You don't need to change any parameters, you just have to A) enter the menu, and B) Enter the editor, then go ahead and boot.

Anyone have any idea how this can be?

Beans

New update:

The best install I've managed to get so far is with the 32bit version of 12.04

Install, then run the updates as depicted above.

Everything works, except for the brightness keys, suspend does work perfectly.

The only problem is that after removing "nomodeset" from GRUB, it boots about once in ever 3 tries. the other two tries will hang in one of two places, right before the login screen displays, and right after, when it's only 1/2 loaded. There's login boxes, and the title bar, but the background is just purple with polkadots.

The computer is frozen. No movement or response from the mouse/trackpad, keyboard or anything. It must be hard rebooted.

Any ideas?

Beans

Hey guys. I have the same laptop. But get really annoying trouble with Ubuntu. Its all time get freezes. Maybe someone know what is it.