Thread: will Unity 6 be available for precise users?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

will Unity 6 be available for precise users?

I've read an article about the Dash Preview for 12.10. It's using Unity 6.4.0 and currently available for quantal only. will there be any plans it can be ported(am I using the right term) to 12.04 desktop? I'm excited about this new feature and i'm thinking to stick with 12.04 until it's supported.
    Proverbs 16:9
    In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.

Beans
    Distro

Re: will Unity 6 be available for precise users?

The newer version of Unity might end up in a ppa repo but I seriously doubt it will land in the 12.04 repos. The new features look good but with the LTS stability is the main concern and 12.04 is very stable as it is.

Beans
    Distro

it's just not good enough to use precise when other future versions are getting Unity's new features .. thanks for your input though..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Then you will need to make the choice of of staying with the LTS or riding the cutting edge, which may bring other instabilities,

LTS are released to provide Long Term Support for users that require stability, support and predictable results through updates. A lot of this is directed towards enterprise installations which demand such constraints. If your needs are better served by the "interim" releases by all means feel free to use such releases.

Personally I always keep a LTS install in service, while using the "interim" and development releases available for most of my day to day usage. Your Choice... I prefer to ride the cutting edge, but have fallback to stable when needed.

Sometimes it is a pain in the hind-quarters, especially early in the development cycles, but is very satisfying when one finds a bug, reports it and it gets fixed.

You need to gain an understanding of the Ubuntu development cycle... new things are generally NOT brought to the LTS. Although with the 5 year support cycle recently implemented this may not be written in stone.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

+1 to this

Personally I always keep a LTS install in service, while using the "interim" and development releases available for most of my day to day usage. Your Choice... I prefer to ride the cutting edge, but have fallback to stable when needed.
    It only takes 10 or 15 or 20 GB of hard disk space for another partition. I have 3 Quantal installs that I use for testing but I have recently gone back on to my 12.04 install because of something in Libreoffice in 12.10 eating CPU cycles and memory. Yesterday's updates may have fixed that. I will have to test.

You never know we might be asked to test Unity 6.4 in Precise to make sure it works before it is pushed out into the regular 12.04 update channel. All things are possible.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

thanks for all of your input guys .. highly appreciated your explanations .. yes, i think i'll be staying with LTS until the next one (14.04) ..

if i got it correctly, testings and improvements for the new features made between 12.10 through 13.10 will be available for 14.04, right?