Thread: Toshiba Portege Z930

Hybrid View

Beans

Toshiba Portege Z930

Has anyone tried Ubuntu on the Toshiba Portege Z930?

So far I found only this page reporting success on all accounts using Arch Linux : http://www.linlap.com/wiki/toshiba+portege+z930

But I must say that's far from own experience so far. Regular Ubuntu has a lot of issues from which a few were fixed by updating to 3.5 kernel. Sleep also doesn't seem to work, results in kernel panic.

Beans

Arrow Re: Toshiba Portege Z930

I have some experience with this laptop under Ubuntu 12.04. Configuration: i5 cpu/6gb ram/128gb ssd. Operating system runs very fast and responsive. Video/sound/wifi works out-of-the-box. Haven`t try bluetooth yet. Going to try mpeg4 video files in a day or two.About a week in use, two random freezes. Multi-touch gestures zoom in/out are not working (it`s a pity). Fingerprint reader too. Never the less, I have to conclude that Ubuntu team do their job in improving this distribution quite good.

So that`s my experience with this laptop under Ubuntu OS.
    Last edited by spacedrone808; September 7th, 2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added some new information

Beans

Re: Toshiba Portege Z930

Hi,

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on this laptop 2 days ago.

I first used a 32-bit version that I had at my fingertips and effectively it freezes a lot, maybe after 5-10 minutes running, and I experienced kernel panic issues when the screensaver was activated.

Then I tried with a 64-bit version and since then I haven't had any problem. It works like a charm.

Beans

Hi,

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 x64 together with Win7. As the previous answer, I'm having no problems at all. Seems to be quite robust. Much faster boot than WIn7 btw

Beans

I have the Satellite Z930 - sorry if it's totally different and therefore off-topic - but cannot get the Ubuntu installer to give me an option to install alongside the pre-loaded Windows 7 installation. Did anybody else have this problem?

Beans

...It turns out I had 4 primary partitions. Deleting one of the useless Windows 7 recovery partitions gave me the ability to install Ubuntu successfully.