Thread: Ubuntu first startup

Hybrid View

Beans

Ubuntu first startup

Hi! I'm new to the Ubuntu Forums and this is my first post so I'm not sure if this is the right category, but I hope you don't mind if it's wrong.
    Now, to the subject:
    I've been running Windows 7 but have made the decision to move to Ubuntu. I used Wubi for downloading and downloading went fine, after downloading, I rebooted and selected Ubuntu as the OS at startup.
    The Ubuntu loading screen showed up, and when loading was done, It was time to login. Now here's the problem.
    I found it hard to move the cursor (very, very, very, laggy) and I couldn't click on anything or type in the password. After trying to type and pressing different keyboard-commands I had no other choice than shutting down (take out the power-cable).
    I've tried startup two times after it, and the same thing is still happening.
    What should I do? A answer would be much appreciated!

EDIT: If you need my system specs, you can find them here: http://http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03029064&lang=en&cc=us&task Id=135&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=5151854 &prodTypeId=12454
    Last edited by DanRex; August 6th, 2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Added link to system specs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu first startup

If you're new then I will skip the virtual console method, simply try installing it from booting CD not from wubi
    It's probably driver problem, if it'll still be the issue you my need to install driver via virtual console, or maybe someone will come up with better solution

Very nice hardware btw
    Last edited by Laiquendi; August 6th, 2012 at 09:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi ,
    I strongly recommend to remove wubi . Just remove it like you remove a regular program in Windows.
    Make a LiveUsb and boot from there to see Ubuntu's behavior and support , with your hardware.

You can easily make an Ubuntu LiveUSb with Unetbootin program --> http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and you can make it from within Windows.

Boot from Usb and click "Try Ubuntu" . Take a tour and see if everything work well.
    eg
    1)Graphics
    2)Camera (if you have)
    3)Sound
    4)Internet (or/and wifi if you have).

The general idea is : "If it works well from Live session then will work just as well on a regular installation."
    You can install ubuntu alongside windows (dual-boot).
    If you want further help on dual-booting post back here.

My Opinion About Wubi:
    Wubi is a Virtual installation of Ubuntu , just to try Ubuntu from within Windows. However , wubi is a negative presentation of Ubuntu's Power. Imagine Windows run on VirtualBox. (maybe worst)
    Ubuntu will be slower and problems might occur with boot etc . Because Ubuntu is not in a familiar Filesytem , but running on NTFS and because Windows control the installation.
    Just imagine an Ubuntu OS where running on NTFS and has a registry and wants defrag on hard disk ... etc. (God save us)
    If someone wants to try Ubuntu its much better from a LiveUsb (with persistent space If wants to test it for long time) rather wubi.

Thanks

Beans

Okay, Thank's for the reply's. I'll test em' hopefully I'll get Ubuntu working!

Beans

Okay, So I tried NikTH's solution, It also looked good until I had to install... Same problem again. Couldn't click on anything, Ubuntu didn't recognize that I was typing but recognized mouse movement (laggy as before; BUT, this time, the lag stopped after lots of clicking).
    I'm feeling very confused. Anyone feelin' smart that could help?
    I would really, really, really start using Ubuntu!
    Last edited by DanRex; August 7th, 2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo! :)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi ,
    do you have a regular dual-boot now ? No wubi ?
    Please open a terminal(ctrl+alt+t) and give the result of
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l 
    sudo parted -l 
    cat /etc/lsb-release && uname -r
    Put the results inside [CODE] tags by highlighting the output and then click on the button in the message toolbar.

Also try to update from terminal with these 2 commands

Code:
    sudo apt-get update 

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Thanks