Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 Wifi Drivers

Hybrid View

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 Wifi Drivers

I recently bought a new laptop from Novatech. (the nSpire 2760 to be precise. not the black edition.) and I cannot find any wifi drivers for it.

I cannot determine the model number of the wifi card, all I have discovered is that it has the chipset ID '168c:0037'. From general google searching, I have discovered this being referenced as the AR9485, AR9285, AR1111 and various other model numbers. Therefore, I have no idea which model I actually have.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can get drivers for this card, or any suggestions that I could try, I am open to anything, as it would be such a shame to have to resort to Windows only due to lack of wifi drivers on linux.

If you need any more information just let me know and I will do my best to provide it.

ahallubuntu is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 Wifi Drivers

Are there any "Additional Drivers" available for this laptop, including perhaps one for the Atheros AR9485 card you seem to have? Search for "Additional Drivers" in Ubuntu and see if any are suggested. You may have to be online to access/download them however.

Sometimes plugging the laptop in temporarily with a cable to update and get access to additional drivers can help fix these kinds of problems.

It's a shame Atheros hasn't provided good Linux support for this wireless card. You aren't the only one with this problem:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1983003

Beans

No, I have updated everything that I have installed and there are no additional drivers or compatibility for this card in any updates.

If it helps, 'ifconfig' does not show up wlan0 at all, and 'lshw' shows *-network UNCLAIMED which has no driver set in configuration.

I have also tried building and installing the latest version of compat-wireless, still to no avail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Open a terminal and type;
    Code:
    lspci

Post the output here please.
    Best,
    Lev

[Personal Blog]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by levlaz View Post
    Open a terminal and type;
    Code:
    lspci

Post the output here please.
    Code:
    :~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev c4)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point LPC Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point 6 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Panther Point SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Device 0037 (rev 01)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 07)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Try this thread should work for you.
    Best,
    Lev

[Personal Blog]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release