Thread: New nvidia-graphics-drivers (304.22)

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

New nvidia-graphics-drivers (304.22)

The newest (beta) version of nvidia-graphics-drivers (304.22) is available from the xorg-edgers PPA.
    That works just fine in QQ.
    And yes, it needs the xserver_1.12

Beans

Re: New nvidia-graphics-drivers (304.22)

Quote Originally Posted by harry33 View Post
    the newest (beta) version of nvidia-graphics-drivers (304.22) is available from the xorg-edgers ppa.
    That works just fine in qq.
    And yes, it needs the xserver_1.12
    +1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

As usual, it is also available from NVIdia FTP at download.nvidia.com. I have tested 304.22 x86_64 on 3.5.0-3-generic Ubuntu (with standard repos/packages, no alternate PPAs) and it's working fine for usual desktop, OpenGL, vdpau. No speed diff from previous on gtkperf/glxgears. Flash video is hell, but then again it has always been.

Regards,
    Effenberg

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i've read the phoronix comment & the nvidia changelog too: this update has some fixes and new features that will help a lot

Beans

Note that 304.22 still exhibits the seg fault abort.

Aborted on me after 3 hours so unusable and back to nouveau I go. This affects many people with 8800/8600 GT and similar cards. Bug has been in all nvidia versions since at least 295.33.

304.22 also still exhibits the bug where virtual consoles (alt+ctrl+f1-6) do not work. Again they work fine on nouveau.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post

Aborted on me after 3 hours so unusable and back to nouveau I go. This affects many people with 8800/8600 GT and similar cards. Bug has been in all nvidia versions since at least 295.33.

304.22 also still exhibits the bug where virtual consoles (alt+ctrl+f1-6) do not work. Again they work fine on nouveau.
    my card is a 8500gt and does not get segfault on i386 installation. (but no compiz/unity here)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post

Never had a seg fault problem and found that if you put vga=normal in your grub config file it fixes (at least for me) the VT problem.
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash vga=normal"
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    As usual, it is also available from NVIdia FTP at download.nvidia.com. I have tested 304.22 x86_64 on 3.5.0-3-generic Ubuntu (with standard repos/packages, no alternate PPAs) and it's working fine for usual desktop, OpenGL, vdpau. No speed diff from previous on gtkperf/glxgears. Flash video is hell, but then again it has always been.

Regards,
    Effenberg
    I also use the nvidia download and not mess with ppa's.

Regarding the flash problems. Someone suggested using a older flash 'so' file instead of the current one. I did that and it worked. Also on utube, I just have to disable the flash using "about"plugin" and now all utube videos work.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    I also use the nvidia download and not mess with ppa's.

Regarding the flash problems. Someone suggested using a older flash 'so' file instead of the current one. I did that and it worked. Also on utube, I just have to disable the flash using "about"plugin" and now all utube videos work.
    Thanks for the tip. Things get a little more stable (but blueish) with this:
    Code:
    [13:40:41] ahsl@AL-DESK01:[/etc/adobe]: cat /etc/adobe/mms.cfg 
    EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=0
    OverrideGPUValidation=true
    Removing this file or changing values from '0' to '1' or from 'true' to 'false' or commenting either line makes it even less stable.

I'm using this version of libflash:
    Code:
    [13:40:46] ahsl@AL-DESK01:[/etc/adobe]: strings $(locate libflashplayer.so) | egrep -i '^FlashPlayer'\{1,\}[0-9_]*'FlashPlayer$'
    FlashPlayer_11_2_202_236_FlashPlayer
    Which version are you using?

Regards,
    Effenberg
    Last edited by effenberg0x0; July 16th, 2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Frozen fingers

Beans
    Distro

Confirmed: Things are not blue with flash version 10.3 and so far it seems like it's more stable. If anyone else is interested, here's what I did:

Code:
    [14:01:39] ahsl@AL-DESK01:[~]: sudo mv /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so.old
    [14:01:40] ahsl@AL-DESK01:[~]: mkdir $HOME/Downloads/flash && cd $HOME/Downloads/flash 
    [14:01:40] ahsl@AL-DESK01:[~/Downloads/flash]: wget http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/10/flashplayer_10_plugin_debug.tar.gz
    [14:01:41] ahsl@AL-DESK01:[~/Downloads/flash]: tar xvzf flashplayer_10_plugin_debug.tar.gz
    [14:01:41] ahsl@AL-DESK01:[~/Downloads/flash]: mv libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer
    [14:01:42] ahsl@AL-DESK01:[~/Downloads/flash]: sudo chmod 775 /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so && sudo chown root:root /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
    [14:01:42] ahsl@AL-DESK01:[~/Downloads/flash]: sudo kill -s KILL $(ps ax | grep chromi | awk 'BEGIN {FS=" "} {print $1}' | tr '\n' ' ')
    Then restart chromium, select "restore".

Regards,
    Effenberg

EDIT: I thought I should add a note to people that eventually land here. Don't be a bash barbarian like me: use softlinks or update-alternatives, close things normally instead of killing them, use normal stuff like ps/pidof at least, like normal people do, etc.
    Last edited by effenberg0x0; July 16th, 2012 at 06:54 PM.