Thread: syncing iphone 4s with iOS 5.1 in ubuntu 12.04

Hybrid View

Beans

syncing iphone 4s with iOS 5.1 in ubuntu 12.04

Hi, I'm trying to sync iphone 4s with iOS 5.1 in ubuntu 12.04. I've tried using the Rythmbox and gtkpod iPod manager. However they seem to be laced with errors.

Question 1: Can you actually sync in 12.04?
    Question 2: Do I need to have my iphone unlocked/jailbroken to manage it in 12.04?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: syncing iphone 4s with iOS 5.1 in ubuntu 12.04

Are you trying to simply sync music and podcasts, or perform backups, app management, etc.. ?

Beans

I'm trying to sync music, video and podcasts etc.

Cheers

Beans

Does anyone know how to sync music, video and podcasts etc on iphone 4s with iOS 5.1 in ubuntu 12.04??

Beans

This is currently not possible with iOS 5. For more details see http://www.libimobiledevice.org/. search for donate in the webpage.

Beans

Actually, if you read libimobiledevice's page, they use libgpod for music sync. libimobiledevice basically handles everything but music sync.

http://www.gtkpod.org/wiki/Libgpod <-- info

I've been on the gtkpod mailing list for a long time, and not much progress is being made on the iOS 5 front. Last activity I saw regarding that was back in January, I think. I don't know if it's a lack of interest or a lack of resources.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

This really should have its own thread, for easy access. So if anyone here wants to make this its own thread please do so.

Requires jailbroken device,dTunes or VLC4iPhone or YouTubeToMP3, all available in cydia.This tutorial is for YouTubeToMP3.Works for all iDevices to my knowledge, on all Linux machines.

Step 1; Install openssh

This step requires you to install openssh from cydia on your iDevice.
    Open cydia, go to search. Look for openssh, then click openssh from the list. Click install on the top right of the screen. Wait till complete, then switch to your pc.

Step 2; Install filezilla

Method A(advanced/fast)
    Type the below command without qoutes into a terminal.
    "sudo apt-get install filezilla"

Method B (for beginers/slower)
    Open ubuntu-sofware-centre and search for filezilla. Once fonud righ click and install.

Step 3; Using filezilla
    Once complete run filezilla, in the host type sftp://root@[your-iDevice-IP-Address].

To Find your ip address open Settings, go to Wi-Fi, click the little blue icon just right of your internet connection. You will find it there. An example of a host is as follows:

sftp://192.168.1.100

In username type "root". This works for all iDevices.

Then in password type "alpine". You should change this password.

Then click Quickconnect.

The rest is drag and drop.

The location of music on an Idevice is "/var/mobile/Media/Downloads"
    The location of music on Ubuntu is "/home/[username]/Music/"

Tested on iTouch 4g iOS 5.1.1 jailbroken. Kubuntu 12.04 and 12.10.

Beans

Not sure whether this is the solution you're after but it works for me. I installed File Manager by Tapmedia from the appstore which allows you to create folders. Then I created a music folder and just drag and drop mp3s into it using nautilus or in my case pcmanfm. Voila, play them on your iphone directly from the file manager. No itunes needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This one works. thanks a lot buckyaustin.
    But cannot copy music from desktop to iPod Touch. It does not show up on iPOD. I am able to view all existing podcasts and mp3 songs and download to my Ubuntu from iPod Touch.

It seems you cant even check what the content is from filename. They rename all songs and other content in your Pod.

Quote Originally Posted by buckyaustin View Post
    This really should have its own thread, for easy access. So if anyone here wants to make this its own thread please do so.

Requires jailbroken device,dTunes or VLC4iPhone or YouTubeToMP3, all available in cydia.This tutorial is for YouTubeToMP3.Works for all iDevices to my knowledge, on all Linux machines.

Step 1; Install openssh

Beans

Hi there is always the choise of using something like bridge. You just have to transfer the songs to a folder inside your device and then use the app to import them into the music.app's database. Pretty straightforward. It works with the latest ios version.