Thread: General testing advice please.

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

General testing advice please.

Hi there guys.

I've done a bit of testing before but have decided to become a bit more active in the future.

Now that the updates have started rolling in does anyone have any suggestions as to how my testing can be more productive? I'll be filing bugs on launchpad and doing ISO testing when the time comes around but am wondering if there is any more that I could be doing?

I'm in IT Support / Network Administration by trade but have little programming experience so I'd be OK with some of the more technical stuff, this is really just a shout out for any ideas.

I'll be seeing you all around in this forum more often,

Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

Re: General testing advice please.

welcome aboard , there will probably be a couple of stickies up soon that will give you some ideas . There are about as many testing styles and methods as there are testers . as the cycle gets going you will get into the feel of it .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

We will be starting Testing Days, similar to what Fedora does, targeting specific packages, so stay tuned.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    We will be starting Testing Days, similar to what Fedora does, targeting specific packages, so stay tuned.
    This sounds like a good idea as it creates focus rather than just randomly trying stuff out. For unity in the PP cycle, the unity test sheets were very good as you ran through a well thought out series of tests.
    Last edited by alphacrucis2; May 1st, 2012 at 03:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Has nobody given you this link?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U+1

This is what some of us are working on. We, and our wiki, are still under development.

We are not a team of elite people. Anyone can join the team. Anyone can join with us in testing even if not a team member.

We are trying to develop tutorials that will help ordinary users get satisfaction from testing the Ubuntu development branch and maybe get a desire for more involved testing activities.

I speak as an ordinary user. I am curious as to the extent that I can get involved during the Quantal development period.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: General testing advice please.

Install has been a very rich source for exposing bugs, when the .iso show up perhaps in
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/cdimage/daily-live/current/
    Maybe that will be some time in May?

Jerry