Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Raid 1- Best way to do it

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Beans
    67
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Question Raid 1- Best way to do it

    Greetings i whish to seek guidance from any expert to learn how could i create a raid1 or any other metod that will duplicate my hard drive information into another one to savegurad the information.....

    I plan to make a computer for my dad to run a LemonPOS where custumers and important database will be store but must secure the information with at least another image of the hard drive...

    suggestions and comments will be appreciated


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Beans
    446
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Raid 1- Best way to do it

    I'll tell you before I begin that I know nothing about RAID, but since nobody has answered yet I thought I might post this. I found this tutorial on howtoforge on how to set up Software RAID1 On A Running LVM System. It includes GRUB2 configuration. It's for Ubuntu 11.10. It looks like a pretty long process(4 pages). Again, I have no idea how to set up RAID1, so I cannot help you with any problems you run into. Here is the link: http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-set...n-ubuntu-11.10.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Beans
    67
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Talking Re: Raid 1- Best way to do it

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTurtle View Post
    I'll tell you before I begin that I know nothing about RAID, but since nobody has answered yet I thought I might post this. I found this tutorial on howtoforge on how to set up Software RAID1 On A Running LVM System. It includes GRUB2 configuration. It's for Ubuntu 11.10. It looks like a pretty long process(4 pages). Again, I have no idea how to set up RAID1, so I cannot help you with any problems you run into. Here is the link: http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-set...n-ubuntu-11.10.
    thanks for the link i had saw it still i hope some one can mention a pci raid card or some other easier way hehehe lest cross our fingers

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Beans
    5

    Re: Raid 1- Best way to do it

    You can try raider utility:
    http://raider.sourceforge.net/
    This will convert your single disk to a raid system (1, 4, 5, 6 or 10).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Beans
    67
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Raid 1- Best way to do it

    Quote Originally Posted by carreira View Post
    You can try raider utility:
    http://raider.sourceforge.net/
    This will convert your single disk to a raid system (1, 4, 5, 6 or 10).
    Great idea but i must ask you


    1) had you ever use it?
    2) why the switch between hard drives ? (o_O)
    3) any thoughts about this if you used it like security risk or lack of performance?

    thanks in advance

    and by the way Ubuntu 12 rocks, it runs way more smooth

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Beans
    5

    Re: Raid 1- Best way to do it

    Quote Originally Posted by blackangelpr View Post


    1) had you ever use it?
    Of course I used it! Actually I am developping it.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackangelpr View Post
    2) why the switch between hard drives ? (o_O)
    This could be automated, but it would be necessary to change bootloader config in the original disk. So, manually swapping disks is a way to maintain untouched the original disk in case something went wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackangelpr View Post
    3) any thoughts about this if you used it like security risk or lack of performance?
    I don't think this could be a problem. Today, linux software raid is a accepted as a solid solution, unless you have enough budget to buy a hardware raid system.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •